Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] Newbie- Would like to edit "the loop"

Old Nov 9, 2011, 05:47 PM
jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail

13 posts · Nov 2011
Pacific Northwest, USA
[SOLVED] Newbie- Would like to edit "the loop"

My site is http://jenniferdawnmclucas.com/

I will apologize upfront for being completely new and not entirely sure how to edit css or php.

-I would like to take the footer widgets I created and move them into the center column of my blog.
-I would like to have a separator image as was discussed here.

I have been trying to find the way to do this and have seen several people referred to an earlier version of Atahualpa. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to find the earlier version that enabled one to edit "the loop" from the ATO on the WP Dashboard. And, if I am currently running Atahualpa 3.6.7 what problems might I face trying to go back to an earlier version?

Thank you very, very much.
Jay.

Last edited by jenniferdawnmclucas@gmail; Nov 9, 2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:20 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You could download an earlier version at wordpress.bytesforall.com. If you use the manual installation procedure you can switch back and forth between versions until you get any issues worked out. It is labled as an upgrade procedure but can be used to install any version of Atahualpa.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:04 AM

13 posts · Nov 2011
Pacific Northwest, USA
Thanks so much! I installed 3.6.4 and everything seems to have converted correctly except none of my posts are showing up now. Any ideas on how I managed that? You don't have to move your blog posts into the new file, right? They still show up in the WP Dash under Posts...

Thanks for any response on what to do next. While I'm waiting I'll poke around and see if I can figure out the solution myself.

Jay.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:18 AM

13 posts · Nov 2011
Pacific Northwest, USA
Oh yes. I had tried to edit index.php but ended up making an error in line 33 and all that would show up on my site was that there was an error in the index line 33. It was then that I decided maybe I didn't really know as much as I thought I did about editing php, lol. I fixed the problem with the index.php file that I had backed up before I tried editing it myself.

I also tried to use the post footer for my image. While that worked ok what I really want is for the image separator to span the width of the site, not just the width of each post. Basically the line under my blog name is what I'd like to use as the separator, but I've edited it slightly so that it also includes my favicon.

I'm pretty efficient at the design parts, but not so good on the technical side. It's a bummer to have a vision for something and not be able to implement it.

Thanks again,
Jay.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 01:24 PM

13 posts · Nov 2011
Pacific Northwest, USA
Ok, I'm satisfied with the look I have now. Here's what I did.
  1. I switched back to version 3.6.7. Trying to get my posts back in the older version seemed impossible for someone with my tiny knowledge base. I realized this when I reviewed several posts which mentioned that a WP upgrade had caused this problem in older versions of Atahualpa.
  2. I looked again at this post which explained how to use an image as a separator within the post footer. I had been previously frustrated because my image didn't fit correctly within the post footer box. When I looked closer at what was already in the post footer box I realized there was a line-height encoded that I could adjust to fit my image.

This is the code I now have at ATO>Style Posts & Pages>Footer box
margin: 0;
padding: 5px;
color: #666;
line-height: 55px;
background: url(http://jenniferdawnmclucas.com/wp-co...-copy-copy.png) no-repeat center top;

Someday I'd still like to figure out how to move the widgets in my footer up to the page content, but for now this is working.

Thank you so much for advice that was at my skill level!
Jay.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:47 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
There are some plugins that let you add widget areas to posts and pages via a shortcode. You could try a search on wordpress.org
Old Nov 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it's actually not so hard. To have them show after all post or page text, just add it before the line, you need to add the new widget area code just before the last line
HTML Code:
<?php get_footer(); ?>
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Any features new to 3.6.+ will be lost if you switch back. You can edit index.php where the loop now is.

You can also put an image in the page/post footer...