Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

placing shortcode for plugin wp-blogroll

Old Jan 19, 2011, 01:24 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
I would like to move my sidebar blogroll links to a separate page using the plugin wp-blogroll. This plugin uses a short code with many options. I have a feeling that it can be placed in the ATO for pages but I'm not sure exactly where? Can you make any suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
a suggestion - try it, experiment a little
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:05 AM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
I did try placing the shortcode in several areas in the page options but it didn't seem to have any effect. I thought this was a situation that may have come up in the past.

If not in the ATO perhaps there is a more logical place in a php file.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 07:39 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Go read the instructions for the plugin again, I'm sure it doesn't say to add the short code to a theme option
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:31 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
That is absolutely true. They merely say place it in your code. I was hoping that someone more well versed in the Atahualpa/Wordpress code could point me in the right direction. Perhaps I'm wrong but I thought that the purpose of these forums was sharing. I was hoping that someone may have already crossed this bridge - experience is the best teacher .
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:59 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Could you post a copy of what they are saying to "Place in your code"? Are you sure it's a shortcode or is it php code?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 02:29 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
Larry/IMiles

Sorry for the delay in responding but i have been away for the past few weeks. Below I have picked up from where we left off. I did follow the instructions and placed the short code in a page that i created / in the description box. I now have it working. I am responding so that anyone with the same needs can benefit from this post. I also found other solutions in the forum that would have required creating php templates. This obviously is easier.

WP Render Blogroll Links plugin (wp-blogroll)
Creates a links page with a simple shortcode / tag. No additional templates needed.
 Description
 Installation
 Faq
 Changelog
 Stats
1. Upload/extract the WP-Render-Blogroll folder to your /wp-content/plugins/ directory.
2. Activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
3.Place [wp-blogroll] in the post or page you want to use for links.
Usage of the [wp-blogroll] shortcode
A short introduction
WP Render Blogroll Links works using a "shortcode". Shortcodes are snippets of pseudo code that are placed in blog posts, pages and on some forums to easily render HTML output. Example of shortcode i used at the bottom.
The following is the basic form of a shortcode:
[shortcodename]
To facilitate customization of shortcodes, parameters are used. Shortcode parameters are entered in the following format:
[shortcodename parametername=parametervalue]
The "wp-blogroll" shortcode including an example parameter called "catname" looks like this:
[wp-blogroll catname=News]
Below is a list of all the supported parameters and their functions.
Parameter name Parameter options Description
always_show_names 0 or 1 (Default:0) This option when set to 1 will show link titles even if the link has an image defined.
catid ID(s) Use this parameter to specify what categories should be shown by category ID. For example [wp-blogroll catid=12]
catname Name(s) Use this parameter to specify what categories should be shown by name. For example [wp-blogroll catname=News]. If the catname has spaces, simply wrap the name in quotes. Example: [wp-blogroll catname="Social Media"]
catorder ASC, DESC (Default: ASC) Indicates the category sort direction in ascending or descending.
catorderby id, name, count, slug or term_group (Default:name) This indicates in what order the categories should be ordered by.
excludecat ID of a link category This will exclude the set categories from displaying their links. Multiple values may be entered separated by comma (,). Example: [wp-blogroll excludecat=34,35]
forcerel Relationship (Default:blank) Forces a relationship tag on all links. For example rel="external" can be achieved using [wp-blogroll forcerel=external]
limit n Limits the number of links displayed per category. For example, to show a maximum of 20 links per category, use [wp-blogroll limit=20]
notitle 0 or 1 (Default:0) This removes categorization and as a result removes the category titles
order ASC, DESC (Default: DESC) Indicates the link sort direction in ascending or descending.
orderby id, url, name, target, description, owner, rating, updated, rel, notes, rss, length, rand This indicates in what order the links displayed should be ordered by.
rss_image Relative path. Default is '/wp-includes/images/rss.png' A relative path the icon that is to be used as RSS link for links. For example: /wp-includes/images/wlw/wp-icon.png
show_images 0 or 1 (Default:1) By default links that have images defined will display them. To disable this, select 0 as the value.
show_names_under_images 0 or 1 (Default:0) In combination with the always_show_names parameter, this option puts the titles of the links with images, under their images by adding a BR tag.
show_rss 0 or 1 (Default:0) Indicates whether links that have RSS feeds associated with them should show them.
showdash 0 or 1 (Default:0) This indicate you want a dash ( - ) between the link and its description. (This will also add a space before and after the dash.)
showbrk 0 or 1 (Default:0) This indicate you want a line break between the link and its description.
showcatdesc 0 or 1 (Default:0) Use this parameter to show the description set for each category.
showdesc 0 or 1 (Default:0) Use this parameter to show the description set for each link.
showhide 0 or 1 (Default:0) Indicates whether the links should remain hidden until the category is clicked on.

To get your desired result, you are also free to use (almost) any combination of the parameters.
Example:
[wp-blogroll limit=2 orderby=name order=ASC]
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
I have successfully moved the sidebar blogroll to its separate page (using shortcode) but just when I thought the problem was solved i seem to be having a problem with CSS styling.

My output consists of two headers and a list of links. I wish to style both the font weights and font size. Not too familiar with CSS but I have done my research in w3schools.com and searching the BFA and wordpress support forums. In particular I found a suggestion by Flynn in "How to change font size and weight on links with wp blogroll" I also searched the wp-plugin php file for some indication of body.page-id, or class or the code writing to the page without success ?. Also tried modifying the styles.php and insert CSS but something is missing. If you have a better understanding - a sample CSS insert would help.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:24 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Without a link to the site I don't know what CSS to give you as a sample that would be any different than what you would see at w3schools.com.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 01:20 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
Larry

I cannot do that, for a good reason. I am testing changes off line and then uploading to the on-line version when it is working.

However, in this case it can be described very clearly.

Bear with me and I'll try to explain.
When you use wp-blogroll it converts the sidebar blogroll to a separate page (that you create) in the following format:

Title

Category No 1 h1
. Link List Item No 1 linkcat h1
. Link List Item No 2

etc

Category No 2 h2
. Link List Item No 1 linkcat h2
. Link List Item No 2

etc

Flynn suggested to use the CSS Insert included within

body.page-id-519 div.linkcat he{
}

I tried several versions of this including the last :

body.page-id-469 {
<head>
<style type="text/css">
h1 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h1 {
{font-size:100;} }
h2 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h2 {
h3 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h3 {

</style>
</head>
}

I tried this and several other versions - none had any effect??
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Looking at this code it is not clear what you are tring to do but if you are putting that in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts you don't want the items in <> such as <head> and <style type="text/css"> and the font sizes need px or em or %. Also why do you have the body.page-id-469 at the top? Are you just trying to style one page. This is why seeing a site is so important. I can see how the code is working and virtually try some other iterations.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
Larry

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. The problem is that the linked list that was created by the wp_blogroll plugin has a font-size that is too large. Larger than the category header.

body.page-id-469 div.linkcat.h2{
}

was suggested by Flynn. He had the number 519 which I assumed was the page-id I changed it to 469.

Someone (Berean) had asked this same question in July 2009 and from his response it worked but he left no details and I was unable to contact him.

I also sent a message to the author of wp-blogroll with my email address - no answer so far.

Yes I am trying to style one page whose page-id is 469. The code I used was adapted from a google sample and you're right there are other ways to do it - I'm surprised that this code had no effect. I also tried putting it directly in the styles.css file. The Title also exists at the top of the pahe followed by each header and link headers (as described). I found the page-id by hovering over the page Title in the admin panel.

I realize that it would have been best to provide you with the URL but its just not convenient at this time. There are other issues that are causing me to keep it private until I reach an appropriate level.

I could try other css versions using em font-sizes etc but it should work with %. I would be surprised if that was the problem. The references of h1, h2 etc were my creation - I'm wondering if they were correct. I tried it other ways, for example using the title as as h1 etc etc.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
What styles are you trying to change and what size?

You have h1 and you have div.linkcat.h1 and I am not sure what you are trying to change. You have font-size: 200 for h1, h2, and h3 and font-size:100 for all the div.lincat designators. Again what sizes are you trying to change?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Alfie, what Larry is politely trying to tell you is that there is no way to help you without looking at the site. Your descriptions are too long and rambling and no one (at least myself and I believe Larry) is going to spend the time trying to figure out what you say you have done, when what people 'say' they have done, many times turns out not to be 'what' they have done. Many issues have been an error in code changes people make (like why are you editing 'style.css' you should never touch it in this theme, just put the changes in CSS Inserts.)

It could take hours of testing and we still wouldn't be sure. By looking at the site it would save us time - time that we are not paid for since we are volunteers.

So, while I understand you want to keep the site private, if you don't want to provide the url, even in a PM, you are going to have to figure out this by yourself.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 15, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 08:50 AM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
Juggledad

I certainly understand what you are saying and I don't expect anyone to spend a large amount of time analyzing this to come to a conclusion. I do appreciate any attempt to assist me. I was only hoping that because of the combined extensive experience you both have in wordpress and Atahualpa , the solution may be at the tip of your tongue. Most of us understand that the difference between the expert and the novice is often " I've seen it before"

The reason that my posts may seem to be rambling to you is because I am making an extra effort to attempt to clarify.

--------------------
Larry

If this is something that requires a great deal of time, I understand. However, I would like to answer your last question. References to 100, 200 etc are %.

The Title appears on the page at 250% (probably a default), The Category header is approx 200% and the link list headers are 250% (I want them to be approx 100%. Exact percentages are not important since I can change them to anything I want using CSS.)

The suggestion by Flynn

body.page-id-469 linkcat h2{
}

was left up to the user to interpret and i assume you now understand that.

I am now using the CSS insert only (inserting in styles.css was only because
CSS insert did not work.)

If this is not something that does not fall into your past range of experience and will take too much time - I understand. Your efforts and patience are appreciated. Sorry if my explanations did not hit the spot first time around.

I do feel that this is an important application since using links in the sidebar creates too much clutter and is very limited.
Old Feb 15, 2011, 09:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
One thing you could do is go to ATO->Export/Import settings and export your settings and attach them to a reply
Old Feb 17, 2011, 09:47 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
This syntax for your code as shown below is incorrect. You should go to w3schools.com/css to determine the correct syntax for CSS.
HTML Code:
body.page-id-469 {
<head>
<style type="text/css">
h1 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h1 {
h2 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h2 {
h3 {font-size:200;}
div.linkcat h3 {

</style>
</head>
}
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
alfie

74 posts · Apr 2010
Long Island NY
Larry

Yes it is true that the CSS style code is incorrect. i was blindly trying to follow the style outline referenced by Flynn knowing that it was probably a shot in the dark. I assumed that someone much more knowlegeable would pick up on it and re-directme. Since then i have scoured the documentation and forums. To begin with I found.

WP-blogroll -- This extremely simple plug-in enables you to create your own Links page without having to write a custom template.The output can easily be styled with CSS. Each category with its links is encapsulated in a DIV with a classname called “linkcat”. All the links are attributed with the class “brlink”.

And so I googled and googled linkcat and brlink - all I found was the same statement above, over and over again. Even w3schools had no mention of linkcat or brlink

Then i tried looking in the wp-blogroll code wp-Render_Blogroll.php looking for code that referred to writing of the tags. If I could find it then perhaps knowing h1, h2 etc perhaps I could write some CSS style code. I could not find any such code ?? If I have time I could give it another try or perhaps experiment with other similiar plugins. Even the original sidebar code provided by Wordpress had links - there may be something to be learned there.

If the output could be so easily styled by CSS, why am I not finding any info or even getting any response from the author etc ????

I just reviewed the posts in this thread and i came to the conclusion that the problem was presented clearly.

I don't mean to impose on you and take up any of your limited time, I do appreciate your being open minded and listening.

So many different problems to solve - I'll have to get back to this at a later time. I may have bit off more than i can chew all at once but I don't give up easily. It may cause indigestion but I'll be back to try again.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 03:20 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Can you post a link to the blogroll plugin?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 07:22 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
If the output could be so easily styled by CSS, why am I not finding any info or even getting any response from the author etc ????
Do you know how to code a CSS selector?
Have you read the readme.txt for the plugin?
Have you donated to the author?
Quote:
I just reviewed the posts in this thread and i came to the conclusion that the problem was presented clearly.
While I'm sure your explanations are clear to you, two of us have to disagree. We have asked for information to try and help you, that you choose not to provide. We ask for the URL of a site to see what is 'really' generated, not what you 'think' is generated.

With this in mind, I'm going to close this thread. If you need further help and are willing to provide the information we request, feel free to open this discussion again and good luck with your issues.