Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Modifing default amount of text for a post on the home page

Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:32 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Is there a way to allow more text of a post on the home page to show than the default that the Montezuma theme allows? Please see my screenshot for an example.

Ideally, I'd like to just have the front page show as much of any given post as I want, until I insert the "more" tag. I haven't been able to figure out a way to do so, so the theme just ends up cutting off the front page excerpt at some default value.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defaulttext.JPG
Views:	1540
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	2459  
Old Dec 22, 2013, 02:18 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
change teh 'bfa_excerpt()' function in the post format.php subtemplate to 'the_content()' then you will get till the more tag
Old Dec 22, 2013, 11:18 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Juggledad,

Thanks for the comment. That fixed my initial problem, but it's introduced two more. Please see: http://bike-urious.com/

1.) The featured image gets displayed again, as part of the post.
2.) After about 3 posts, the posts become full-width, and it's moved the sidebar to the bottom, almost like it's being rendered on a phone.

The most concerning thing to me is that even if I got to the subtemplate options and reset the postformat.php to the default, problems 1 and 2 still exist. Your advice is appreciated.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 03:50 PM
bikeurious

12 posts · Dec 2013
Juggledad, thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the fix seems to have broken two other things on the home page which are very drastic:

1.) The featured image is now showing up twice.
2.) After post 3 or so, everything gets shifted towards the left, and the sidebar has been moved to the bottom, almost like it's being rendered on a mobile device.

My biggest problem right now is that even when I try to reset the postformat.php or copy that file over from a previous backup, it isn't fixing the issue. The site looks very broken at the moment, so I'd really appreciate someone's help on this.

Thanks.
http://bike-urious.com/
Old Dec 25, 2013, 12:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Not sure what we can do since you swapped to twenty fourteen however when changing the 'bra_excerpt()' to 'the_content()' you might want to remove the line
HTML Code:
	<?php bfa_thumb( 620, 180, true, '<div class="thumb-shadow"><div class="post-thumb">', '</div></div>' ); ?>
to get ride of teh thumbnail that the theme puts out.

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM.