Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Stop certain posts from appearing on home page ?

Old Oct 8, 2011, 08:11 AM
jonb2010

14 posts · Jun 2011
Stop certain posts from appearing on home page ?

I am trying to stop certain posts from appearing on the front page of www.mummybird.com

I have created a page for reviews as I don't want the reviews clogging up the home page.

I've added this to the index.php
<?php if (is_front_page() && !is_paged() )
$posts = query_posts($query_string . '&cat=-108'); ?>

It works on the first home page but the review posts then start appearing on the second page. It's also started doubling posts that appear on the first page and putting then on the second page again.

Anybody got any suggestions how I can make this happen ?

thanks Jon
Old Oct 8, 2011, 07:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what are the review posts?
where did you add that code in index.php?
take a look at the custom query template in the Gold Forum/Tutorials

Last edited by juggledad; Oct 8, 2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2011, 03:56 AM
jonb2010

14 posts · Jun 2011
Review posts are just in the Review category to appear only on the Review Page.

I've been trying the custom query you mentioned but whatever I try it try I end up with no posts on the front page at all.

I saved the template as home.php and edited it like below, then tried it without the separate "$args =;" and it still doesn't show any pages.

$custom_fields = get_post_custom($post->ID);
$my_custom_field = $custom_fields['custom_query'];
$args = '';

$args = query_posts( 'cat=-108' );

if (have_posts()) {
$paged = (get_query_var('paged'));
get_query_var('paged');
$args= $args."&paged=$paged";
}

query_posts($args);
?>

I've had to delete home.php from the server as every time I upload it I lose my front page posts. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas ?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 10:32 AM
jonb2010

14 posts · Jun 2011
Anybody got any ideas ?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 11:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Try changing the line to
$args = $args + '&cat='-108'
Old Oct 15, 2011, 01:31 AM
jonb2010

14 posts · Jun 2011
Hi Juggledad, I just tried that bit it comes up with this error on the front page and doesn't load.
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/donna/public_html/wp-content/themes/atahualpa/home.php on line 21

If I gave you a login would you be able to take a look ? Quite happy to make a donation for your help

I've put this back into the original index.php in the meantime.

<?php if (is_front_page() && !is_paged() )
$posts = query_posts($query_string . '&cat=-108'); ?>