Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

What PHP functions do you want to see as options in 3.6.8?

Old May 27, 2011, 03:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What PHP functions do you want to see as options in 3.6.8?

As you may know, due to a WordPress.org requirement, the ability to add custom PHP code through the Atahualpa Theme Options had to be removed.

While processing Raw PHP isn't possible anymore, PHP functions that are known beforehand can be parsed as text string and then executed as was done in 3.6.7 for the function:
HTML Code:
<?php bfa_widget_area('....'); ?>
All of the WP template tags that have no parameters, like the_author() will be added, and the important ones with parameters.

Are there any functions that you feel are needed?
Old May 27, 2011, 08:20 AM
marklevine

41 posts · Jun 2010
My first thought is to request "do_shortcode".
Old Jun 1, 2011, 07:00 AM
webalyst

82 posts · Nov 2010
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklevine
If nothing else, definitely THIS!

Mark
Old Jun 3, 2011, 02:21 AM
rvconnelly

23 posts · May 2010
Henderson, NV
Note: this post was edited - only put in the functions you would like to see - this is NOT a problem solving thread. - Juggledad

the_title();
the_permalink();

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 3, 2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 02:18 AM
Faffe

22 posts · May 2010
Sweden
I'm using
PHP Code:
<?php echo '<span class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style" style="display:inline; float:right;" addthis:url="'.urlencode(get_permalink()).'" addthis:title="'.urlencode(get_the_title($id)).'">
to display AddThis icons in a nicer way. Since this is removed in the latest version of Atahualpa, I'm loathe to update. It's really one of the best features.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:07 PM
Knut Sparhell

34 posts · Jun 2010
Fredrikstad, Norway
System URLs, like upload_dir->baseurl
Old May 28, 2011, 08:48 AM
PainFreeComputing

20 posts · Dec 2009
I was using a php string to build a list of child pages--a Table of Contents. I hate to lose that.

Jack
Old May 29, 2011, 10:16 PM
billc108

22 posts · Jun 2009
It would be nice to be able to add functions to the end of the functions.php file.

It seems that the -child theme method loads those functions defined in child themes first, which means that you can't redefine an existing function (if my understanding is correct). In the event I want to re-define an existing function I'd like to be able to do it without having to update the functions.php file each time the theme gets upgraded.

Last edited by juggledad; Jun 3, 2011 at 04:02 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 04:49 PM
thetravelchronicle

97 posts · May 2009
I don't know PHP from BBQ, and suspect this suggestion doesn't belong in this thread, but...

I don't use the ATO "Show Blog Title" option, and apparently as a result, SEO reviews don't report the blog title in the "Header Tag". It would be nice to have a way to accomplish this short of using white (invisible) letters in the blog title.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:34 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I would love not to have to use a plugin to exclude categories from displaying in a widget. Custom PHP code has solved this for me in the past, but it's going away with the new requirements. I really don't understand why Wordpress doesn't include this capability out of the box. That would move it even closer to a full CMS.
Old Jun 5, 2011, 12:13 PM
iPuppet

12 posts · Aug 2009
Washington, DC
Again, PHP is not my forte, however one function that has me remaining with v. 3.5.3 is being able to place a single announcement post near the top of the otherwise static front page. See http://www.thepuppetco.org . I originally did this using guidance from: http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=3486
Old Jun 9, 2011, 09:27 AM
talbin

19 posts · Feb 2010
Another vote for "do_shortcode."
Old Jun 13, 2011, 08:58 PM
derekwbeck

151 posts · Nov 2010
How about a simple way to include other php files? I use this extensively now, and thus fear upgrading...
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:52 AM
owc

19 posts · May 2011
something to add php trough another method in ata. please!

i use e.g. wp-pagenavi and breadcrumb navxt. it would be very annoying to change the code in the header- and footer-file of ata after every upgrade.

one of the main advantages of ata was the possibility to completely customize the theme the way you want it to have, without changing a single line of code (what upgrading had made a very easy and fast process). i won't believe that these times are over now?!

Last edited by owc; Jul 8, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:39 AM
scrollpost

17 posts · Jan 2010
At first I thought this change would be difficult to adapt but on further thought I think the best thing is to move on with good documentation about where and how PHP code should be added.

For example - this was in "Content above the loop":
<?php /* For MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */ bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); ?>

Here is the code in index.php:
<?php include 'bfa://content_above_loop'; ?>

Does the php go after the ";" inside the php statement like this?
<?php include 'bfa://content_above_loop'; bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); ?>

Also I have php code on the "post info items" page. What do I do with this?

Cheers
Jack
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
scottyd777

2 posts · Feb 2011
I was using a php function in 3.6.4 to create a date box next to the post title in the kicker that I'm not having luck with yet in 3.6.5. This type of code:

Quote:
<div class="date">
<div class="date-inside">
<div class="date-month"><?php the_time('M'); ?></div>
<div class="date-day"><?php the_time('d'); ?></div>
</div>
</div>
So I think my answer is I'd like to see php the_time back in. Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Actually you can use the %date code mentioned on that page instead of php.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
scottyd777

2 posts · Feb 2011
Thanks for the advice Larry. It took a bit of trial-and-error but I found the code that worked.

Quote:
<div class="date">
<div class="date-inside">
<div class="date-month">%date('M')%<br>%date('d')%</div>
</div>
</div>
Thanks again!
Old Jul 21, 2011, 04:58 AM
sjc999

14 posts · Jul 2011
How about site_url(). I prefer absolute to relative paths, and this makes it easy to copy code from one place to another.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 11:24 AM
kdawes01

102 posts · May 2009
Missoula, MT
I do miss being able to put in php!

I'd vote for a way to make additions to the functions.php survive updates... I'm using child themes sometimes for only that reason... And child theme functions.php usage can be problematic due to what is loaded and when as previously noted.

I'd REALLY like the header image(s) to be such that they survive an update

Ditto favicons

Ditto logo image (although I do have a workaround http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=8929 )

Basically, anything that would make any customizations impervious to theme updates!

Ken
Old Jul 28, 2011, 09:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
PEOPLE - this is NOT a 'what feature do I want' in the next release. This is specific to 'what PHP functions' would you like to see.

If you don't know what a PHP function is, then please don't post in this thread.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:28 AM
darwin8

12 posts · Jan 2010
Oahu, Hawaii
Send a message via Skype™ to darwin8
Yes. I use PHP for a very specific feature in the WPML system:

<?php global $icl_language_switcher; $icl_language_switcher->language_selector_footer(); ?>
<?php /* For MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); ?>

Important to the design of the website http://www.americachinabridge.com -- where we use it to position a language switcher "above the loop" in the center column.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 09:02 AM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
<?php bloginfo('template_directory'); ?>
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:17 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by marklevine
Quote:
Originally Posted by webalyst
If nothing else, definitely THIS! Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by talbin
Another vote for "do_shortcode."
I'd like to throw in my request for do_shortcode as well. Is it pretty safe to assume that it'll make it to 3.6.8?
Old Aug 30, 2011, 05:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
nothing is safe to assume