Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

Don't show "Custom Read More" for manually created excerpts?

Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:23 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
Looking at the stickies on this forum, it looks like it used to be default that the Custom Read More didn't get inserted if you manually created an excerpt (and didn't let Atahualpa auto create it, being X words long).

Is there a way to get this functionality back?

Like right now I have "[...]" as my Read More. For auto generated excerpts, this is perfect, but for manually created excepts I usually type a full coherent sentence and don't want to have that appear.

Or if I could make a separate Read More for manual excerpts that would be even better.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best,

Adam
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:40 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Look at ATO>"Read More" tag. If you add a Read More tag it will use that as the break for the excerpt.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:17 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
?

I'm talking about Excerpts, not using read more breaks.

The "Custom Read More" (found in ATO > Configure Excerpts) shows up on all excerpts, whether they are auto generated or if you manually create one (on edit post pages in the admin).
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:03 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I misread your post so I just did a test with Atahualpa 3.5.3 and WordPress 3.01 to see if I am getting the same results as you.
  • I created a Post with auto excerpt set at 22 words and saw 22 words plus the read more link
  • I added a custom excerpt and now saw the custom excerpt plus the read more link
  • I set ATO>Configure Excerpts to Full Posts and only saw full posts
If what you want to do is have the read more show for auto created excerpts and only your full sentence if you type in a custom excerpts I know of no way to accomplish that.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:50 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
Bummer, maybe I'll delve into the code sometime. I'm guessing that I'd have to edit the post info parts template.