Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Site and Wordpress slow to load

Old Nov 26, 2009, 12:45 PM
aamorrison

10 posts · Oct 2009
Hi,

I'm having trouble with my website. It is slow to load (and so is the wordpress desktop). I don't know if this is related to the theme, but I didn't have these problems with a previous theme. I've been in touch with hosting provider and they don't think it's a problem at their end. I am not running super cache. Any suggestions?

http://understandingcancer.co.uk

Thanks
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
your sie loads for me in a little over 5 seconds. There is a wait on a 404 not found for
HTML Code:
http://understandingcancer.co.uk/__utm.gif?utmwv=4.5.9&utmn=2121483663&utmhn=understandingcancer.co.uk&utmcs=UTF-8&utmsr=1680x1050&utmsc=24-bit&utmul=en-us&utmje=1&utmfl=10.0%20r32&utmdt=%20«%20Understanding%20Cancer&utmhid=1458625827&utmr=-&utmp=%2F
which I have no idea where it is coming from, probably a plugin, try disabling them all

Your query results '164 queries. 4.303 seconds' is very slow
1) how large is your database?
2) have you done a repair and optimize of it
3) what type of host are you running on - ie how many other websites are sharing the server
this can cause a big effect in presenting a web page and you will have to contact your host about this
Old Nov 27, 2009, 03:20 AM
aamorrison

10 posts · Oct 2009
Hi juggledad,

Thanks for replying

1) My database is 8.9 MB ( with an overhead of 1.6MB, 22 tables and 9,288 records). I've no idea if this is large or small!

2) I haven't done a repair or optimization. I can only point and click and I fear I would cause irreperable damage (!) a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...

3) I have contacted my host and they are looking into as well.

4) I have 18 plugins running I'll try disabling them now.

Thanks
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:17 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
18 plugins is a lot of code being executed, you might want to try disabling them all and check the speed, then add them in a little at a time to find out which is a problem.

9288 rows is not that big, but doing a optimize won't hurt.

You do have a backup of your database...RIGHT!!?

there is a great plugin called wp-dbmanager that you can schedule it to do backups and optimizations for you (you can even have an export emailed to you automatically)

Most of the rows could be from 'post' updates. Wordpress keeps every revision. You can limit the number ov revisions by adding the following line to wp_config.php:

define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', 2);

this will only keep 2 revisions of any post. A negative number will keep all revisions, 0 will keep none and any positive number will keep that many copies

And if you reallyfeel brave you can go into phpMyAdmin and (AFTER DOING A BACKUP/EXPORT) you can issue the following SQL statement which will remove ALL the rvisions
HTML Code:
delete FROM `wp_posts` where `post_type` = 'revision'
If you look at teh row count for the table wp-posts before and after, you can see how many rows were revisions.

Then do an Optimize of the table.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 02:24 PM
aamorrison

10 posts · Oct 2009
Many thanks for your suggestions. Yes I do back up my database and no I don't use wp-dbmanager, I guess if I did I'd have 19 plugins! Thanks for giving me an idea of the size, this is my one and only website so I have nothing to compare it to.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:23 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I did add

define ('WP_POST_REVISIONS', 2);

to wp-config.php and nothing happens. I still have 20 revisions on some blogs

www.richardhughes.ca
Wordpress define 3.0.4
Atahualpa 3.4.9

What did I not do correctly?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I'm not sure if it will get rid of existing revisions you may need to delete them.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:46 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I cannot see how to delete them. Would I use a plug in such as Delete-Revision?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I've never looked at that plugin but it might work. I'd probably go I to phpmyadmin a d figure out the SQL statement to do it. Do a google search and I'm sure you'll find an explaination

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 11:36 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I went to phpMyAdmin, to the database, clicked the SQL tab

typed

DELETE FROM wp_posts WHERE post_type = "revision";

and it worked perfectly. An SQL savvy friend said to change the word DELETE to SELECT * FROM
to see what its going to delete first before you pull the trigger.

I made some more revisions, did what he suggested and yes, that works fine, too, with a little more comfort level for me!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 02:20 PM
Context Canada

18 posts · Nov 2010
A Google search for cleaning up the revisions issue comes up with a more complete scenario to execute.
Here is the suggested code to use.
DELETE a,b,c
FROM wp_posts a
LEFT JOIN wp_term_relationships b ON (a.ID = b.object_id)
LEFT JOIN wp_postmeta c ON (a.ID = c.post_id)
WHERE a.post_type = 'revision'
I just improved my page load from 14 seconds to 2 seconds.