Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
maxhugen

17 posts · Feb 2009
Australia
Pretty new to both WordPress and Atahualpa, but working steadily on a 'community' website at Beechwood Billycart Classic. We're in NSW, Australia.

As a programmer myself, I can certainly appreciate the time and effort that Flynn has put into this theme - thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2009, 04:43 AM
Gravity

34 posts · Sep 2009
My site's not heavily customised, but I'm pleased with Atahualpa's flexibility. Let's me tweak little things (like the single page footer) in a way I really appreciate. It's about world of warcraft. Thanks for the great theme Flynn.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:24 AM
Friendly User

2 posts · Nov 2009
Atahualpa is excellent, a really great theme.

Very customizable and all the options are really well organized and labeled.

My site has a simple but highly-tweaked layout and uses the Atahualpa theme with a few minor code changes, some added code in/above/below the LOOP, and a lot of HTML/CSS Insert additions. I've found a lot of answers in this forum; very helpful.

http://techuserfriendly.com/

Any feedback is appreciated
Old Nov 10, 2009, 06:40 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhugen
Pretty new to both WordPress and Atahualpa, but working steadily on a 'community' website at Beechwood Billycart Classic. We're in NSW, Australia.

As a programmer myself, I can certainly appreciate the time and effort that Flynn has put into this theme - thanks!
Hey Max! Nice site! You've certainly set things up right -- Good luck with development!

PLEASE put up some photos! I'm dying to SEE a billycart -- prob go off and Google it and find out.
EDIT / UPDATE: Okay! We would call them "soapbox carts" -- we have a big, annual "Soapbox Derby" at which kids from all states compete. One diff seems to be that our competitions tend to be on very gradually sloped venues keeping speeds low ...while YOUR races sound quite a bit more extreme. lol

I found it interesting to "discover" another "mid coast" Where I live in Maine (furthest NE state in the USA - "Northern New England") is commonly called "The Midcoast" (a/k/a "Mid-Coast" and "Mid Coast"). Here in Bristol, the end of the peninsula below the town of Damariscotta, we're between Maine's biggest city Portland and Bar Harbor, a longtime "vacation destination" (Victorian railroad barons would take steamboats from New York and Boston).

I'm going to be letting friends and neighbors know about YOUR Mid Coast -- maybe I'll drive up NSW tourism!! lol

Jim http://www.hatchtown.com

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Nov 10, 2009 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2009, 05:11 PM
shiroshears

15 posts · Aug 2009
CA
Send a message via Yahoo to shiroshears
I have used Atahualpa for two different sites, and I love it! Shiro Shears Is my bread and butter, my own company. And I recently used the theme to build a site for a friend, Green Valley Fire Products. The only problem I have is the footer credits. I can't seem to remove them. Flynn is the main dev right? So who do I donate to? Has anyone else done this?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Shiroshears!

I like your site -- too bad I'm bald ...lol But, I do have beard/mustache so maybe my wife will buy me a Xmas present.

I see you use the WP E-Commerce plugin successfully. How do you like it? I've just recently opted to go with Shopp.

By the sound of it you're about due ...to pay some dues, that is. Just go to the top of any Forum page and click on the "Click Here To DONATE!" message. If you haven't had any support help elsewhere probably appropriate to make your first donation to Flynn ...he is the man.

Personally, I like showing the Atahualpa credit in the footer -- wouldn't want anyone to think it was something I'd cooked up myself, people might ask me questions I couldn't answer.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that once you've made a donation Flynn will be happy to give you the "key" to "unlocking" and removing the stuff in the footer.

Last edited by Shepherd Jim; Nov 10, 2009 at 07:30 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:33 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
It's not completely finished, but it has gone live: the site I've been building for my son's school.

http://theagnonschool.org

Any and all feedback appreciated.

I do hear that people with older versions of IE have trouble with the display on a few pages, most notably the calendar. But I've given up trying to fix it; I'm telling people to upgrade their IE or switch to Firefox, Safari, etc.

I'd love to be able to build a back-end interface for all the widgets on the home page so that the nontechies who will be helping to maintain the site won't be so intimidated by it (it doesn't help that the names I gave the homepage widget areas aren't particularly clear).

We're still adding content and are getting ready to re-implement search, ical feed, and a password-protected area for current parents.

Lila
Old Nov 12, 2009, 08:37 PM
lhanft

88 posts · Jul 2009
Cleveland, OH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly User

My site has a simple but highly-tweaked layout and uses the Atahualpa theme with a few minor code changes, some added code in/above/below the LOOP, and a lot of HTML/CSS Insert additions. I've found a lot of answers in this forum; very helpful.

Friendly User, nice site. I like your header and the visual simplicity of the design. Interesting content too, btw.
Old Nov 13, 2009, 03:29 AM
kristofferrom

4 posts · Nov 2009
Copenhagen
I've done www.ohnoono.com. I'm tweaking it once in a while but I'm pretty satisfied with the basics. Let me know what you think
Old Nov 13, 2009, 02:29 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I decided to use Atahualpa and Wordpress for a client who wants a mixture of a mostly static site with blog capabilities. The front page is static, as is most of the content at the moment. Eventually, women from around the world will be able to login to the site, go to a members-only area, and post their news and appeals for help. I'm testing some "privacy curtain" plugins that will protect a category from anyone who is not registered and logged in.

http://anglicanwomensempowerment.org/

Atahualpa 3.4.4 made it really easy to get this site up and running in just a week or so, using mostly content pulled from an existing but soon-to-be-destroyed subsite of the Episcopal Church. My client is on the board of this organization, and she's a friend, so I charged the group about half of my normal business rate. It's a work in progress, of course, but it was unveiled for the rest of the board members to see it today. There are various notes scattered around the site, asking people for additional ideas and information, so ignore those!
Old Nov 14, 2009, 06:56 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
...<snip>... I'm testing some "privacy curtain" plugins that will protect a category from anyone who is not registered and logged in.
...<snip>...
Hey Paula:

Despite me being one of the "unchosen" (wrong gender) I think the Anglican Women site is really impressive. After all your work on the "newspaper" I would have thought you'd have been looking for something a lot simpler. But then, I guess, people with simple needs wind up doing it all themselves.

PLEASE offer the ATA Forum a report on what you learn about the "privacy curtain" plugins. Down my road is setting up a sheep breed registry site in WP that will involve "members" posting to the site. Right now it's just me and my wife messing with things and I have trouble getting my head around THAT sometimes.

Jim
Old Nov 15, 2009, 05:37 AM
chillmen

2 posts · Nov 2009
http://www.ontavu.com french blog. there is still some tweaking to be done.
thank you for any feedback.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:00 AM
Friendly User

2 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanft
Friendly User, nice site. I like your header and the visual simplicity of the design. Interesting content too, btw.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out, lhanft.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 08:32 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Friendly User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendly User
Atahualpa is excellent, a really great theme.
...<snip>...

My site has a simple but highly-tweaked layout ...<snip>...

Wow! You do say HIGHLY-tweaked! Your site is high testament to both your ability as a "tweaker" and Atahualpa's versatility. Without knowing in advance I would never suspect that you were using Atahualpa.

Jim
Old Nov 17, 2009, 05:54 AM
Genie

8 posts · Nov 2009
I am new to WP and Atahualpa myself. I haven't figured out the widget stuff yet, but have done some work on the design.

I have not changed any code, because I don't know how, but I changed some images.

I have a Period Drama Site, and here is my blog.

http://justperioddrama.com/wordpress/
Old Nov 17, 2009, 02:59 PM
BraveOrInvincible

1 posts · Nov 2009
Hi!

First of all, I love the Atahualpa theme and recommend it to anyone who asks!

Here are 2 sites I've built using it so far:

http://braveorinvincible.co.uk

and

http://gill-blenco-educational.co.uk

I am planning on using the theme to build more sites, but hope to use custom html/css in the header to build my own menu bars wish me luck!

Thanks for the great theme

Nick
Old Nov 19, 2009, 11:45 AM
rosetrees

108 posts · Mar 2009
I absolutely love the flexibility of this theme - and deeply appreciate this forum, which I turn to whenever I'm stuck!! I'm learning fast. This is the site that introduced me to the theme Much Marcle and this is the site I was designing when I posted a thread asking if it was possible to transfer a modified theme from one place to another - How to get over jet lag.

I use it for all my Wordpress sites now - for myself and for my clients.

And since this thread is headed "showing off" - this is my most popular site in terms of visitor numbers - Anti-scam blog. And this one is close to my heart as it's about my main hobby how to improve singing.

Last edited by rosetrees; Nov 26, 2009 at 03:37 AM. Reason: to "show off"
Old Nov 19, 2009, 01:42 PM
SimonKemp

12 posts · Nov 2009
I've been using the excellent Atahualpa since the weekend to make it a 'front end' for my google-unfriendly flash website.

The idea was to use something a lot more search engine friendly so I was advised to use Wordpress and was very lucky to stumble across the Atahualpa theme.

I wanted it to look like a site rather than a blog, it's a testament to Flynn that it looks OK despite my meagre skills. Take a look, any feedback welcome. http://www.hyde-end.com

Thanks,

Simon
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:06 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Simon!

Most impressive and VERY elegant! You're doing a nice job of integrating WP/Ata and your original pages. I'm probably biased but I prefer the look and feel of your Ata pages to the Flash stuff. But then, you do have to take into account the marketing goals and the target audience.

I'm definitely going to check out the iFrame and WordPress connection!

Please "come back" here as your meld proceeds.

Thanks! Jim
Old Nov 21, 2009, 10:21 PM
totg09

1 posts · Nov 2009
I really like this theme. The customizations are easy for the average WP user! Thank you...

Last edited by totg09; Dec 23, 2009 at 06:28 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 01:15 AM
vikasg

4 posts · Nov 2009
New Delhi
I will soon join the Atahualpa community!

I am shifting two blogs to self-hosting and will use Atahualpa on one of them.

I am reading the forums here and finding it very useful.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 05:39 AM
SimonKemp

12 posts · Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepherd Jim
Hey Simon!

Most impressive and VERY elegant! You're doing a nice job of integrating WP/Ata and your original pages. I'm probably biased but I prefer the look and feel of your Ata pages to the Flash stuff. But then, you do have to take into account the marketing goals and the target audience.

I'm definitely going to check out the iFrame and WordPress connection!

Please "come back" here as your meld proceeds.

Thanks! Jim
Cheers Jim, thanks for the kind words
Old Nov 22, 2009, 06:05 PM
Newdust.com

16 posts · Nov 2009
Here's my site: Newdust.com

I think what I've done makes for a good example of what some custom CSS and graphics can do with this incredible theme. Nothing too fancy here, but I'm pretty sure the unique look I've achieved with this site would not be capable on any other Wordpress theme besides the one and only Atahualpa. I was happy to donate.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:27 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Hey Newdust! You're right about your site having a "unique look". Your little graphic/logo in the footer above the usual "Ata credits" especially tickled my fancy -- not many people think to insert a "pretty" down there.

Question: Austin & D.C. ?? Are you a senator from Texas or something?

Jim
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:30 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Anyone using the Shopp e-commerce plugin wanting to highlight their site?

I'm testing the Shopp plugin on my test site ShepherdJim and am dying to see what e-commerce solutions others have used on their Atahualpa sites.

Jim