Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

What's your take: responsive theme vs. mobile plugin

Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:33 PM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
Layout What's your take: responsive theme vs. mobile plugin

With Montezuma being a nice example of a responsive theme, what is your take on the discussion "Responsive theme vs. Mobilizing plugin"? E.g. on the following quote:
Quote:
Typically WPtouch-served mobile pages are a fraction of the size of a responsive web page. The main reason for this is that responsive design is a client-side mobile web strategy, while WPtouch is a server-side web strategy. What that means is that with Responsive Design (client-side) all content, files, images, etc., are sent to the mobile device and extra CSS determines the layout of the webpage and what will be shown/hidden on the mobile device. With WPtouch (server-side) we use user-agent detection first to determine what we’ll send to the device, starting with not sending the desktop theme and instead serving the mobile theme you choose and setup in the WPtouch admin panel. This way we can specify exactly what should/should not be sent to the mobile device, instead of requiring the code to determine what to do on a mobile device being sent to it and requiring the mobile device itself to sort out all that code. (Source: http://www.bravenewcode.com/2012/07/...bile-strategy/)
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Like just about any "new" technology there is going to be pros and cons. One thing to be aware of with this article is it is written by the WP Touch authors so I would expect it to be somewhat biased.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:53 PM
ymf

61 posts · May 2009
I fully understand that the article is biased. It raises interesting points though.

I'd love to hear a biased opinion by Montezuma author and evangelists. Can Montezuma be as much server-side as WPtouch claims to be, i.e. can it "specify exactly what should/should not be sent to the mobile device, instead of requiring the [client-side] code to determine what to do on a mobile device [with the stuff that has already] being sent to it"?