Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

PLEASE HELP! Web site has stopped working!

Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
feverproject

6 posts · Aug 2012
I have three wordpress websites and I use this theme for all of them. I started off with no knowledge at all but through research, I have managed to do some nice things with my websites without bothering anyone for any help. I have now made a big mistake.

I have first added a link to one of my websites, on the footer of another in ATO>FOOTER>FOOTER CONTENT which looked like this
HTML Code:
 <a href="http://feverproject.com">FeverProject</a
this work without any problems so i tried to add the same link on the second site. The link was added with a whole load of jargon at the end so I had to remove it.
I went into functions.php and added the code where I had previously taken out the 'by wordpress' bit.
I then got a page error. I went back a page and tried to put the code back to what it was (conferring with my other sites php) but every time I save i get page errors.
The site is no longer active and need some urgent help to rectify my silly mistake!
I have the option to upgrade to wordpress 3.4.1 but im not sure if that would wipe away my worrys?
My site is www.premiersuiteandlounge.com
Thank you for any help!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:03 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Just upload a fresh copy of functions.php to overwrite the corrupt version.

In the future you shouldn't edit functions.php. You should add the links in the footer section of the theme options.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
feverproject

6 posts · Aug 2012
Thanks for the quick reply.
How do I go about uploading a new functions.php?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:10 AM
feverproject

6 posts · Aug 2012
Also when i tried to edit the footer content, it didnt work on this particular website. Any thoughts on why this was?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You need to upload via FTP. I would need more info on what code you used etc. etc. to even guess at why it didn't work.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
feverproject

6 posts · Aug 2012
The code I used was
HTML Code:
It worked fine on one of my sites but when I used the same code it added about 10+ lines of jargon at the end of the footer when re-loading the website which is why I foolishly tried adding it to functions.php.

I have no idea were to get a fresh copy of the functions.php and were exactly to upload it to. I'm guessing somewhere within my control panel?
Thank you for the help!!
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:59 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
If you have File Manager in your control panel, you can upload that way, or get an FTP program like Cute FTP. You can download a fresh copy of Atahualpa, find functions.php, and upload it to overwrite the one that's been messed up.

Upgrading your WP installation won't help if the problem is in your theme functions.php file. Have you tried switching to the default theme to see if the site works then?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:14 PM
feverproject

6 posts · Aug 2012
Thank you both very much for your help. I can now breath again!
I have gone in to the functions.php file on my control panel and i have managed to delete what I added and the site is now back and working without having to reinstall the functions.php

I am now back to my original problem of being able to add a link to my footer to an external website.

I have tried adding the code
HTML Code:
to the footer content which I am currently using on another ato/wordpress website.

The problem I am having is once adding the code, there is an extra 10 or so lines of jargon within my footer. Have either of you got any ideas on a solution?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
If you actually left off the closing bracket, that could account for your troubles, I suppose.