Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Moving form Blogger to my new Atahulapa WP site

Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:59 AM
roxybc

23 posts · May 2011
Help Moving from Blogger to my new Atahulapa WP site

I've got a few questions for you guys - hopefully someone can give me some in depth answers that are still simple to understand, as I'm still new to WP.

Firstly, I'm currently building a new blog using the most recent version of Atahulapa (www.unbecomingmymother.com) and once I have everything the way I want it (I'm almost there!) I'd like to copy the settings over to use on my other blog which is currently on a temporary URL because the main URL (www.madewithpink.com) is hosted with Blogger.

So, a few questions:

1. Although my blog is hosted by Blogger I invested in my own custom domain upfront, so my URL has always been http://www.madewithpink.com and I intend to keep it that way once I move. Can anyone tell me if I will have any link issues when I move my blog over to WordPress given that the domain name will be the same, but hosted with host gator rather than blogger?

2. I am in the process of designing a second totally different blog on WordPress. I had intended to get the blog layout and design customised the way I like, and then copy the theme settings over to my dummy URL where I would then update the colour scheme & layout a bit more before then transferring my Made With Pink blog to the newley designed one in WordPress. I am using the Athualapha theme.

Can you tell me if this is the right order I should be doing things in? Basically I had planned in having the site layout & pluggina & widgets fully designed before transferring over the content. Is this a good idea? I’m new to the Athualapha theme I’m using, so don’t know if it effects the transfer at all?

3. One last thing – about 95% of my images on my blog are hosted through Flickr and are inserted into the post via URL links. Is this a problem?

I would really appreciate any advice that you might have, as this is something I’ve wanted to do for 2 years but have been too scared to so it on my own!

Sorry this was so long, but thanks very much for taking the time to read it!

Last edited by roxybc; Feb 19, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You generally just
  • Set up a new WordPress site
  • Export your posts and pages from Blogger
  • Import posts and pages into WordPress
I think the Blogger importer will import images but put them in the database as opposed to have the Flckr links.

The best way to learn all this is to do a test run on a sandbox site. You could just install another instance of WordPress on your HostGator account and play away.

You also need to be aware of links. If you install everything in the unbecomingmymother site and then switch the URL www.madewithpink.com you will need to do some cleanup for paths. If you just forward your 'madewithpink' url to the unbecomingmymother site then the paths will not likely be an issue.

Again the best way to determine all the ins and out is to install a dev site.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 19, 2013 at 05:42 PM.