Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

About the 404.php page

Old Dec 31, 2010, 05:04 AM
Farinet

24 posts · Dec 2010
Genève, Switzerland
About the 404.php page

Hello,

At the moment wrong URLs get me a
Not Found

The requested URL /sd was not found on this server.
page. I am not sure who is generating this page, but I would guess it is Apache.
I have read that, in order to have a custom Not Found page, one needs to create, in the Atahualpa theme directory, a 404.php page with

<?php get_header(); ?>
<div id="content" class="narrowcolumn">
<h2 class="center">ARBITRARY TEXT</h2>
<p>MORE ARBITRARY TEXT</p>
</div>
<?php get_sidebar(); ?>
<?php get_footer(); ?>

I did, however I still get the page above.

Note that I don't have an .htaccess file. Should I create one manually and edit it? I assumed WP would take care of this.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 06:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
make a copy of index.php and rename it to 404.php and edit it
Old Dec 31, 2010, 08:04 AM
Farinet

24 posts · Dec 2010
Genève, Switzerland
Thanks for your input, however this doesn't solve my problem. I made a copy of index.php and renamed it to 404.php. However I am still in the situation described above and still get the (presumably) Apache-generated message. Of course I can create a .htaccess, and point 404 errors to a particular page created for this. Please clarify if I am supposed to do this, or if it should work by just adding the 404.php file. If one has to create the .htaccess file, then the "not found" page is set there, and can have any name. So, from the fact that it should be named 404.php, I assumed WordPress should somehow take care of this by itself. Apparently I am missing something.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 01:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You might want to look at the No 404 Errors plugin. I will let you redirect to a page of your choice
see also http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_an_Error_404_Page
Old Jan 1, 2011, 09:56 AM
Farinet

24 posts · Dec 2010
Genève, Switzerland
I tried the plugin, but my situation is still the same.

Regarding the Codex page, it says:

Quote:
The default WordPress theme has a 404.php file, but not all Themes have their own custom 404 error template file. If they do, it will be named 404.php. WordPress will automatically use that page if a Page Not Found error occurs.
However this not the case. I have created such a file in the theme root directory, and it is not used at all.

The rest of the page is irrelevant, as it explains what the content of 404.php should be.

Just wondering: what about the .htaccess file? Should there be one? Could it be the case that WP usually maintains its own .htaccess file for such things, but in my case it couldn't create it?
Old Feb 26, 2011, 01:21 PM
vCopia

72 posts · Jan 2011
Long Island, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
You might want to look at the No 404 Errors plugin. I will let you redirect to a page of your choice
see also http://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_an_Error_404_Page

Just wanted to say a hearty Thanks, The No 404 Errors plugin was just what I was looking for.

Last edited by vCopia; Feb 26, 2011 at 01:23 PM.