Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

setting max-width of center column

Old Apr 10, 2009, 04:37 PM
willowtree

5 posts · Apr 2009
Hello,

Firstly thank you for the amazing theme. I was going to make one from scratch for my new site but when I find Atahualpa decided to play around with it. So far it seems it's the perfect solution. I love how so much of the theme customization is doable in the WP-admin panel. Brilliant!

On to my query:

I am trying to find a way to set a max-width property for the center column. In Atahualpa's center column style max-width has no effect.

The reason I want this is that on some of my pages I have disabled the sidebars. I just want to set the center column to expand to no larger than 600px.

Also once I have achieved this I want to center the center column in the page (possibly with margin-right and left set to auto?).

Thanks you,
willowtree
Old Apr 11, 2009, 05:08 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The max-width is for the overall layout width but it kind of affects the the center column as well. Even if you turn off the sidebars, the max-width should still work, Also, the layout should always be centered all by itself, if it does not fill the whole screen width
Old Apr 12, 2009, 12:48 AM
willowtree

5 posts · Apr 2009
Hi Flynn, thanks for responding.

Allow me to clarify,

I want to set max-width to 600px on the center column div. I have set up Atahualpa's overall layout to 800px fixed width.

The reason I want the center column div to have a set max-width that is smaller than the overall layout is for readability as well as consistency; on pages where there is a sidebar the center column is 600px (I am only using one sidebar at a time).

When I mentioned centering I was referring to centering the center column div within the container div (once it is set to 600px and therefore is smaller than the container div / overall layout).

Basically I am just looking for a way to set the max-width of the center column div independently from the overall layout and the sidebars. Also, it is worth mentioning that increasing the padding or margins of the center div is not an option as it would also affect pages where there is a sidebar.

willowtree

Last edited by willowtree; Apr 12, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
willowtree

5 posts · Apr 2009
Just popping back in to say that I solved the problem by creating custom page templates for the pages where I needed the center column to be smaller than the overall layout.