Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

How to modify these instructions to put the widget area inplace of %image?

Old Nov 3, 2011, 03:43 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
How to modify these instructions to put the widget area inplace of %image?

Can this example be adapted to create the effect in the attached jpg?
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=330
Specifically, I want to use a plugin to create an image gallery carousel in place of the %image
only on my home page. The image gallery will not appear on any other page.

The site will consist primarily of pages. If its important, the image gallery plugin that I planned to use is
http://1plugin.com/galleries/postma

I think I need to add a widget in place of % image, but I'm not really sure where to start. Your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited by jms5017; Aug 27, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 06:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
all you need do is enter the code for a new widget area in place of the %image. Give it a shot, read the directions and try it.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 07:04 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Also here is another gallery plugin you might want to look at that is not flash and looks more like your example.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 03:40 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Juggledad: Could you just be a bit more specific as to what you mean by "the code for a new widget area?" Does code refer to php code? Is it this code?
<?PHP bfa_widget_area('name=Menu Widget Only'); ?>
or is it the short code for the plugin? Neither seems to work. Am I supposed to be following the directions at
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=330
If so, I got lost trying to determine exactly which file I needed to put this
<?php if ( !function_exists('dynamic_sidebar') || !dynamic_sidebar(X) ) : endif; ?>
code into.
It seemed like I should be adding it to the index.php file, but as you already knew, that file only has a comment in it! I guess its pretty obvious that I'm not *yet* a php programmer.....Any help is appreciated.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 06:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
go to ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Center column style and instead of putting in '%image' put in
HTML Code:
<?PHP bfa_widget_area('name=My_header_widget'); ?>
then view the front page of your site
then go to dashboard->appearances->widgets and you should see a widget area called 'My_header_widget'. You can add what ever widget you want into it.

If you want it to only show on the front page, get the plugin 'widget logic' or 'dynamic widgets' and you can use them to set when it should display
Old Nov 7, 2011, 09:13 AM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
The header widget is not showing up in the dashboard > appearances > widgets. I still only see widget areas in the sidebar. I cut and paste the code from your repsonse, so I know its typed correctly. Am I putting the php code in the right place? It is ATO>Style & Edit Header Area >
Configure Header Area Your instructions said to put it in Center Column style but I don't see any place else on the Style & Edit header area page that might pertain to the header styling. I considered adding to the HTML/CSS Inserts or the new header image overlay, but the instructions in each of those section specifically say "No php code."
What am I missing?