Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Please help me with the menu bars centering and background color

Old Oct 22, 2010, 02:41 PM
frugalmommytoday

71 posts · Oct 2010
Please help me with the menu bars centering and background color

Hi again! I am still working on my site http://frugalmommytoday.com and want my page menu and category menu bars centered. I put %page-center in ATO>Style & Configure Header Area and it centered the menu bar, but there are two problems.

First, I would like the background color of the page menu bar to extend the width of my website.

Second, I don't want the dashed border around the page menu bar.

Please help!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What I do for centered menus is wrap %page-center in a div and style it as needed such as the following changing the background color to what you want.
HTML Code:
<div style="width:100%;background-color:#000;">%page-center</div>
I don't see a dashed border on your site. Did you take care of that?
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:32 PM
sonya

16 posts · Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Larry,

Where do you add <div style="width:100%;background-color:#000;">%page-center</div>?

I've figured out how to center the menu, move it below the header, but I want it to be in a box and spread across the page just like http://frugalmommytoday.com/

My site is currently at http://mamatrue.westhostsite.com/.

Thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2010, 06:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
frugalmommytoday

71 posts · Oct 2010
Thanks lmilesw! And yes, I was able to get rid of the border prior to your response. I included "div#menu1" in the ATO>CSS/HTML Inserts and said "border:none". It worked, but is that the correct way to do it?

Also, the 100% width made my bar go across the screen, however, there was still about 20px in gaps on the left and right hand sides so I was only able to remove that space by putting "0" for the padding in the layout container. But now the comments list for my post shifts right up to the left-hand side of the container. First, did I get rid of the spaces on the left and right-hand sides the right way?
And what is the div selector (? on name) for the comments list to add padding to the left-hand side of it?
Old Oct 23, 2010, 12:10 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I would probably use border: 1px solid #8A6E53 in your instance as border none sometimes is iffy.

I am not clear on what you mean about the 0 padding and comments list.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 12:00 AM
sonya

16 posts · Jun 2009
Austin, TX
I got it! Dealing with any css or even adding <div> or anything like it is very far out of my realm of understanding. I somehow managed to set the page menu bar below my header and got rid of the rounded corners but it was in the midst of experimenting so I have no idea where I actually did that. Could you tell me?

Now, I would like the page menu bar items to spread across the full width of the bar. My site is at http://mamatrue.westhostsite.com/. Can you please help?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
moving the items around in the header is easy. At ATO->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area the order LEFT to RIGHT you put things, is how they will show up TOP to BOTTOM.

There is no automatic way to spread menu items across the width of the page, for one thing, it depends how wide someone makes the page on their monitor. If I make your site narrow enough, the menu is the width of the window and if I make it smaller, the menu goes to two lines.

You can add left and right padding to each menu item, but different width views of the site, will give different looks...and if you do add the padding, the sub-menu's may be affected, so you would have to add more CSS to reverse the padding for the sub-menus.

menus and the CSS for them is the most complicates area of a site.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:32 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
In your case Sonya go to ATO>Style & edit Header Area and in the Configure Header Area box I would replace %page-center with the following.
HTML Code:
<div style="width:100%;background-color:#5A85C1;">%page-center</div>
If you tried using the code above a bit ago and it didn't work there was a missing quote. The code is now correct.

Last edited by lmilesw; Oct 29, 2010 at 12:25 PM.