Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Showing Off

Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:43 AM
xheartrockx

10 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseMann
Thanks for the kudos
I honestly don't recall where I got the icons. I think I just googled "social icons", "social media icons", or "social networking icons" and found some that I liked. I have an entire HUGE folder of them because I just kept downloading new ones and putting them into my "social icons" folder.

www.vecteezy.com has some, but I don't think it has those that I'm using.

Not the exact same ones but you can never have enough social network icons. Yay for variety. Thanks for the link.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 04:15 PM
denise

4 posts · Mar 2010
OK, I'm kind of timid because this is new territory for me, but here's the site I'm working on, being launched to our congregation this weekend. [url="http://www.compresby.org"]

I'm still tweaking it and a few pages are waiting content from the members. This is the FIRST site I've ever made and half of what I was able to accomplish is due to searching this board! I started this site 2 weeks ago with my only prior knowledge being a 'test' site on wordpress.com.

Now, if I could just figure out why the post bylines are not showing up and what in the world meta tags are that are listed on every page, I'd be happy! I'm still learning SEO and am trying to configure BFA SEO, so bear with me!

OK, constructive criticism welcome, but be kind please, I'm a novice!

Thanks!
DEnise
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:20 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you add code the the Byline areas in ATO>Edit POST/PAGE INFO ITEMS? Good start by the way. You have a fixed width layout where many newbies leave it flexible and you have implemented a fading header. Good choice of colors.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:19 AM
denise

4 posts · Mar 2010
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply, even though my link didn't work
I took me awhile to figure out that width issue...it seems like the easier things are harder for me to get!

Anyway, about the byline I have this: By %author-nickname%, on %date('F jS, Y')% in the byline field for both single and multi post pages. I have the pastor set up with a nickname of pastordennis on Users->nickname->display name publicly as-> and he's on the site as an author. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Denise
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:15 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I looks like the byline is working OK on single post pages. Not sure as yet why it is not on multi-post pages. I'll keep looking.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:38 PM
bpaik

1 posts · Feb 2010
Atahualpa is so powerful. Just learned it to whip up a site for a buddy of mine.

http://www.impulse-marketing.com/
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
smallhours

2 posts · Jan 2010
Ive been working on this on-and-off for a few months now...

www.thestartupscene.com

Thanks for the brilliant theme and support atahualpa
Old Mar 18, 2010, 07:37 PM
writeleft

41 posts · Oct 2009
U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallhours
Ive been working on this on-and-off for a few months now...

www.thestartupscene.com

Thanks for the brilliant theme and support atahualpa

That is looking quite lovely right now.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for the slider on your front page?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:47 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft

If you don't mind me asking, what are you using for the slider on your front page?
x2! Please do tell what script or plugin is used for the slider.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Based on the source code smallhours is using Frontpage-Slideshow
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:43 AM
pgc

25 posts · May 2009
Warsaw
Here it is. Almost a year with atahualpa:
http://www.piotrcelinski.info
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:10 AM
writeleft

41 posts · Oct 2009
U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Based on the source code smallhours is using Frontpage-Slideshow
Thanks for that. I figured it out last night after remembering that I had firebug in my browser. heh.

Although, I fought it at here, so I'm not sure if it is the same one.

Last edited by writeleft; Mar 19, 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 08:44 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
That is indeed the same one. They have versions for various platforms.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:26 AM
smallhours

2 posts · Jan 2010
Quote:
Thankyou. That was the easy bit - I have to write the content for the site now

Quote:
lmilesw got it right. Ive tried a few sliders and that was my favourite one. It took a little bit of tweaking but its worked fine so far.

Im currently trying to work out how to get the text in the sidebar to link to the post without the colours going all funny. I think that would make it a lot more user-friendly.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:15 PM
Elms123

16 posts · Mar 2010
Uk
As a complete newbie to the Wordpress scene I downloaded two or three themes from the Wordpress featured list including Atahualpa. I have found this to have some of the best editing options without having to learn much php.
I started working on my website a few weeks ago mainly for static pages, but I wanted the option of adding a blog in the future.
I have found this forum an excellent place to learn and it is great to see so many people willing to help.
You can have a look at my early efforts at www.elmsfarmcottages.com Loads more work to be done on the site until its finished!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 02:21 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
I hope this is the correct board for this as I believe it is.

I have just finished the design, development and creation of a new website for our very small church. This has been a labor of tenacious effort in self-taught education and a gross exercise in trial and error application. Prior to this project I was only a everyday computer user. Thanks to Atahualpa theme, function, design, integration with WordPress, support forum, and design team, I would never have made it.

I humbly ask you to visit my site for positive critical review. I know there are some minor visual cosmetic challenges I need to overcome. Specifically due to the recent upgrade of NextGen Gallery Widget. It messed up my home page, right side center column presentation, configuration and I haven't figured out how to correct it yet. Suggestions highly encouraged and welcome.

Please click on:

www.cambridgebaptistchurch.org

I look forward to your responses.

Moderators, if this is the wrong place for this posting, please feel free to move it.

Thank you,
Craig
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Craig, congratulations on such a great job!

You've got some really nice functionality going on there.

My only critical analysis would be design oriented.

I think that the search box should be larger, perhaps double it's current width ... the same width as your sidebar widgets would be my choice for consistency.

I'm just not feeling the greens, which may be the Church branded colors though, so you may not really have a choice. They come across as "clinical" to my eyes.

If you do have a choice, may I suggest a fresher, more vivid color scheme?
Either different shades of green or something completely different like tones of white and blue or a modern contrast like blue and orange?

A great resource for color schemes is ColorSchemer and here's a link to my schemes there:
http://www.colorschemer.com/schemes/...p?userId=37836

Cheers!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:56 AM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Send a message via MSN to Craig Mattice Send a message via Yahoo to Craig Mattice Send a message via Skype™ to Craig Mattice
Hi ChaseMann,

Thank you for the great insight and recommendations. The search box is an easy adjustment and I shall take care of it this week.

You're not feeling the "greens?" C'mon, I feel them every time I visit and my first impression is a touch of nausea. LOL! The green orientation is a take off of the really ugly logo we have since the church started 22 years ago and designed by the original Pastor. This logo may change in the future with our new Pastor.

I am seriously considering changing the full background to white and eliminating the pale green hue altogether. I believe the color contrast would be "less impacting" than it currently may be to people. Although, women seem to like it saying it is comfortable and calming to the eye.

I will check out your suggested link and willingly consider all options keeping in mind others at the church have input also.

Craig
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:22 PM
qda

10 posts · Dec 2009
Finally launched Cove Links Golf Course website, built on Atahualpa version a couple months old..

I found the page menu bar editing to be a bit annoying in terms of CSS..

Otherwise, it was alright, but since I've learned lots about WP with this project, I don't know if I would use such an all-in-one theme in the future. Still, it was nice to not have to think too hard at the beginning about the inner workings of WP, and it was not too hard to implement the original Illustrator design onto Atahualpa

Thank you very much to all those who continue the development of Atahualpa! You are amazing!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:28 AM
cpalmer03

15 posts · Mar 2010
does anyone know how to change ONE of the Page menu bars' color, such as the "Podcast" page in the menu?

www.themulliganshow.com
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:13 PM
Craig Mattice

75 posts · Apr 2009
Richmond, VA USA
Hi ChaseMann,

I've taken you advice to heart along with suggestions from the Plugins board.
  • Reduced the number of header image panoramas from 5 to 2;
  • Reduced the size of the site from 99% to 1100px;
  • Reduced the height of the header image bar from 150 to 120px;
  • Removed all background color except the very pale sidebars and footer;
  • Slowed the image rotation on the header image from 15 to 18 seconds;
  • Adjusted the slideshow, reduced size and slowing it to a 10 second rotation;
  • Adjusted content for more consistency including adjustment of the "Search."

I ran the website analyzer and learned it seemed to all be written in Klingon! I saw the word compression all over the place but have no idea what it means or how to do it. Prior to all of the current adjustments the download times are, 56K 54.26 seconds; 128K 19.67; and 1.44Mbs is 5.73 seconds.

You've taught me a lot in only a few posts. Thank you for taking the time.
Craig
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:58 PM
kal

149 posts · May 2009
Rhode Island
Just ported another site over to Atahualpa! Would love some feedback!
www.kofc379.org

One thing I would love some help with. I would like to rotate the header image (not the logo) based on the current date. Currently I have a flag image there. But I would love to be able to upload several "holiday" or "event" images (i.e.; Merry Christmas, Happy Easter, Happy New Year, etc.) and have the images display for specific date ranges.

Thanks again to Flynn for this wonderful theme!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 08:09 AM
gamusino

2 posts · Mar 2010
Hello everybody!

I agree that Atahualpa is the best WordPress theme I've ever tried. I love to customize my blogs, but I'm not an expert in PHP, so Atahualpa is perfect for me to focus on the design and don't care about the code.

I'd like to show you my personal weblog (www.gambutzi.es) my "professional blog" powered by Atahualpa: ecomovilidad.net. Hope you like it!

Thanks!
Fer

PS: Sorry for my English :-S
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:48 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Craig, good job so far, it's getting far better.

I do want to point out that when I do web design, I use a standard size of 960 to 990 pixels. This fits into the vast majority of screen sizes (1024px by whatever). People who usually have a larger screen, often only open their browser window to 1024px and I think the last statistic I saw for netbooks was about 80% are at 1024px width. Keep in mind also that the majority of Tablet devices will be at 1024px also (including the iPad). The 960 to 990 takes into account the scrollbar and those that keep open any side-screen widgets (like chat or Windows sidebar) and just gives a design a little "breathing room".

For mobile devices, you just can't beat the WordPress plugin WPTouch:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wptouch/

With just a few settings, you can serve up a mobile version of your website.
The WPTouch settings page has excellent tips on how to optimize the mobile options.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 09:53 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Really good job on both Fer.

I LOVE the hand-drawn logo/header for gambutzi.es :-)

Now if I only knew Spanish! (or is that Portuguese?)