Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Style the New WordPress Menus

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
mimi

70 posts · Feb 2009
over there...
Lightbulb Style the New WordPress Menus

This extra CSS will help you styling the new WordPress Menus aka "custom menus", most exactly, it fixes a problem highlighted below*.

1st go to > Appearance > Menus and create a Menu...

The great advantage of the new WordPress Menu is that you can have say; Menu 1 showing Pages AND Categories, Posts etc... You can mix and match and re-order via simple drag and drop, ALL showing in a single Bar/Menu! Amazing. I only discovered this by accident a couple of days ago, when I was seriously considering using a different theme and dropping Atahualpa for good.

To set up sub pages, simply drag the "child" below the parent slightly to the right (there are quite a few videos out there on the subject, showing you how to create and setup menus).

*Problem: if you use sub pages, and the parent is selected, the child/sub page(s) are also "visually" selected, in short, the original styling does not work anymore.

I Googled a lot, and spent some time trying different things, and I ended up with something that work with the theme.
For those interested, this post clearly explains the problem.

Here is the code to put in your Atahualpa theme's CSS Inserts:

Code:
/*----------WordPress Menu----------*/
#menu1 .current-menu-item li a:first-child { 
color: #your_color !important;
background: #your_color !important;
}
#menu1 .current-menu-item li a:hover { 
color: #your_color !important;
background: #your_color !important;
}
/*----------END----------*/
Change the "your_color" to match the colors you are using in your theme > Menu 1 (Page Menu).

I created this post for two reasons:

1) to help some of you, who might want to try the WordPress Menu, and most importantly, to avoid you the headache, especially when more experienced people are not willing to help. I am NOT a coder and will probably never be one, but at least I managed to come up with something that seems to be working.

2) hopefully, some of you who are more experienced with CSS, can improve the code and/or offer suggestions + valuable input. It would be a shame to not take advantage of this great built in feature; the WordPress Menus.