Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Home Page named Home, Exclude page id from menu

Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:46 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
In the page Menu Bar, I named the Home Page "Home" and told it to exclude page id 13, which is the correct page ID for the home page. It is not doing what I am telling it to do! The page has been named correctly as the static front page under settings.
Atahualpa 3.4.9
Wordpress 3.0.1
http://www.displaycaseblinds.com/

Last edited by SharonJ; Oct 25, 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: add website URL
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:49 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what are your settings at ato->NEW MENU 1 (Page Menu)?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:58 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Not sure what you mean, Juggledad.

Home Link in page Menu Bar Home
Exclude Pages 13
Depth
Old Oct 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Not sure what you mean, Juggledad.

Home Link in page Menu Bar Home
Exclude Pages 13
Depth 0
Sorting Order Menu Order

Are these the ones you mean? Any time I have done this previously, it has been a snap
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I don't see any menu at your site??
are you using the default Atahualpa menus or the wordpress menus?
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:47 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
The page menu is in a widget on the sidebar. Is that the problem?

Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:43 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by STB

The options in "athualpa menu settings" control the atahualpa menubars.
You need to configure the widget through the widget options.
Pity about that...where else does the Pages Widget get its information other than the same place that the menu bars do?

Thank you, by the way.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:24 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
I have not been able to get to it yet. But please correct me if my thinking is wrong.

a) Configuring widget in ATO only allows me to do background color, text sizing, link colors etc.
b) If I go to the page widget and edit the php, which I am very, very weak on, will it not reset the next time I update Wordpress or Atahualpa? and
c) I could do it just using a text widget I guess and putting in absolute links, but that kind of defeats the purpose of page ordering and the auto-recognition of a new page that happens in the menu bars but not, apparently in the Pages widget.

Let me know if I am way off base.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:08 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, I'm a little confused on what you want.
1) you are using the 'Pages' widget to create a sidebar menu
2) you created a page called 'Home' which has a page ID of 13
3) you have excluded page 13 from the pages widget

So what is the issue, do you want it to show up in the sidebar 'pages' widget or not? If you want it to show up, make sure you haven't excluded it in the widget.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
STB: I configured the widget to exclude the home page ID, which, naturally removes it from the list, but then there was no home page listed at all, either by its full name or by the word "Home"

JUGGLEDAD: Sorry if I am not being clear enough. I may be asking for something that this will simply not do. I had hoped that by telling Wordpress the name of my static front page (Settings/Reading), by telling Atahualpa that I want the Static front page to be called Home, and to exclude ID 13, which is the page name (ATO/ Page Menu Bar) that, if I used the pages widget in the sidebar, it would do the same as it would for a menu bar.

This is not happening, so I am beginning to think that the work around would be to have a text widget and hand code the links.

I had made the assumption that the pages widget would get its instructions from the same place that the menu bars would.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 12:17 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
...the other option being to just call the page "Home," and use the page name as a subtitle...
Old Oct 29, 2010, 09:35 AM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
You did mention a wp3 menu in an earlier post and it is something I don't know how to do (yet). Can you tell me where I would go to learn about this, or is it in the template someplace that I have not noticed or understood?

I really appreciate the input from you and Juggledad.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
in WP 3.0+ there is now a new menu feature (dashboard->Appearances->Menu) you hand craft the emnu. At the bottom left is an area called 'Theme locations' There are two sections 'Menu 1' and Menu 2' you can assign any of the menus you create to eithor of these

'Menu 1' will be used when you use %pages, %page-center or %page-right in ATH->Style & edit HEADER AREA->Configure Header Area

'Menu 2' will be used when you use %cats, %cat-center or %cat-right

That how you use them.
Old Oct 29, 2010, 10:14 PM
pdhodges

7 posts · Oct 2010
Mountainview CA
I solved the same problem a different way. I left the home page descriptor blank in the set up so there was no home page. Then I made a page called Home with a slug of aaHome. I know Home is sometimes a special case and I did not want to run into any conflict down the road. That is why I used aaHome.
Then I made the word Home be preceeded by a blank. This will work for a page but not a post. I did this so the Home tab would be first with an alphabetical sort.
It then worked the way I wanted it to. Hope this helps.