Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Is it possible to auto-refresh a text widget ?

Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:59 PM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
Is it possible to auto-refresh a text widget ?

I can't get an answer to this one elsewhere so here goes !

I run a sports blog on game nights that needs to have a simple widget or plug-in that carries the game score and which updates without visitors/fans having to continually hit F5/Refresh in case the score has changed (that screws the site up big time !). A simple text widget would do.

There is other content on the page - eg: a chat room - so I don't want the whole page to refresh - only the score.

It sounds simple but I just can't find a way to do it and would love some ideas !
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The only way I can think it might work would be to have a jscript that did it

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 24, 2012 at 05:16 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:25 PM
Paul33

38 posts · May 2009
I'm looking at using the header image as my scoreboard by uploading an image that I update with the score.

I'm thinking if I place only one image in the theme's images/header directory (with the scoreboard on) and select the option to rotate every 15 seconds with javascript then each time I upload a revised scoreboard image, it will pick that up on refresh.

Will that work - I can't see why it wouldn't ?

Last edited by Paul33; Sep 24, 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:16 PM
Jam

1,112 posts · Mar 2011
Perth, Western Australia
Readers browsers will cache the first image it loads. I dont think it will work, they will only see original image loaded when they first viewed that page.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
it should be easy to test, let us know if it works.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:11 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
A quick search on wordpress.org found this plugin.