Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] how to replace all the gray bars?

Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:09 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
[SOLVED] how to replace all the gray bars?

How can I use arrows or dots for bullets in all sidebars?

I have created versions in Photoshop but can't figure out how to replace the gray bars with the gifs.

help, please?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Have you read HOWTO: use CSS list style types (or widgets, bars, bullets and squares oh my)
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I have NOT done any testing but I would
  • Go to ATO>Style Widgets and set left padding and left border width to 0 for list items
  • Then in CSS Inserts I would add something like the following.
    HTML Code:
    div.widget ul li {
        background: #ffffff url("path to image") no-repeat left center;
        padding-left: 10px;
    }
  • If you just wanted to use CSS bullets you could use the following and tweak as required
    HTML Code:
    div.widget ul li {
        display: list-item !important;
        list-style: disc !important;
        list-style-position: inside;
    }
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:34 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
First of all, a sincere thanks to both of you. I greatly appreciate the help and have high respect for the efforts you invest in supporting this excellent theme.

I had read Juggledad's linked posting but, as I said in another thread, I have been getting confused by alternative responses to the question in various threads, especially where there has been discussion of "widget bullets" suggesting they are different from the Page menu bullets.

I hope that between the two answers above I will be able to replace the default bars. I 'd prefer to use arrows I have made in color, but I guess not, huh?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 08:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The reason things might be confusing is because the gray bars you see in wider lists are actually just the left border - a clever way to have a bar next to list items. So there are two ways,
- using the 'border-left' rule or
- using the 'list-style' rule
if you use them both, you would see the bar then the list-stle you chose

The other issue is that not all plugins use the same 'classes'. If I create a plugin with a widget and it makes a list using a class of 'jd-list-item' and someone else creates a plugin/widget/list with a class of 'fubar-list' then the CSS you would need to style my list would be different from the other list. One set of CSS would not apply to both.

Now if you can think of a way for everyone to use the same class names...hmmm...you could call it something like...standards. And then maybe we could get all the browsers to treat it all the same way...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:34 PM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
My father once told me, "We often are our dumbest just when we think we are smarter than everyone else."

Case in point . . .

I figured out a easy way around all that good advice. I noticed that a site i had built a few months ago using ATA353 - and has not been updated to ATA371 - has the arrows I wanted.

heh-heh. simple solution to my issue. what a smart guy I am.

Just upload 353 to the themes folder, and activate it.

It worked!!

The trick worked. There was a minor problem. Both the vertical gray bars AND the arrows were displayed. And I need to upload my custom header image.

Again, the smart guy made his move. I changed the bar width to zero in each of the three or four settings. PERFECT.

Then my father's good advice became a reality.

no pages. no posts.

WTF happened? They are there in the dashboard but not displaying. The menus show the links (with arrows) and link to those pages. But when clicked on, the center columns are blank.

Can I have my cake and eat it too? (for the international readership that's American expression that no one really can explain but we all agree means you can't something both ways).

Or must I eat humble pie (I think that's from England and we all agree it means public defeat and humiliation).

So, is it possible to get the pages and posts to display in 353 as they did in 371? Or must I go back to 371 and deal with the bullets there?

Advice, please?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:19 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
In 3.7.1 there is no 'center' area code, so when you swap back to 3.5.3 it is not in the options, even though it will show on the page.

go to ATO->Style & edit CENTER COLUMN and press the green SAVE button and it should start working.