Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Hard code a single page menu link to an existing (non-wordpress) website

Old Aug 2, 2010, 02:40 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
Hi I just discovered wordpress and decided to use the atahualpa theme to create a blog that I want to link to my main website, without re-doing/moving the existing website to wordpress. (At least not now)

The wordpress site is www.jkswebdesign.com/blog and the existing website is www.jkswebdesign.com
On the blog site, I would like the page menu bar "website home page" to go to www.jkswebdesign.com/index

Is this possible? I'm not very good (yet) with php.....if I view the source code for the wordpress "web site home page" I know exactly what to change, however, I can't figure out how the various php stuff comes together to create what I can see in "view Page source". Can you point me to the right files that I need to change and what to change the code to?
Thanks so much,
Janet
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You don't need to change any php. As a matter of fact with Atahualpa it's better to do all your work in the theme options. That way when you upgrade you don't have to remember where you made the changes.

Now to your question.

If you are using the new WP 3 menu system and Atahualpa 3.5.3 you can just create a menu button that points to any place you want.

Or you could install the Page Links To plugin which lets you create a page and point it to a URL
Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:55 PM
jms5017

115 posts · Jul 2010
NY/NJ Metro area
WOW, that was easy. Thanks!
I used the plugin cause I'm on WP 2.9.2.
I tend *not* to want to use the latest version of anything because of
the potential for more problems and bugs.....Is that the case with WP and
the open source themes? As you can tell, not much experience here....

And can I upgrade both WP and the theme without destroying any of the customizations
that I did?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:47 PM
NeilC

47 posts · Jun 2010
Runcorn, Cheshire, UK
Send a message via Skype™ to NeilC
Not all themes upgrade as easily as Atahualpa, and WP upgrades are normally rock-solid in my experience.

Atahualpa saves your modifications provided they are done in your Atahualpa Theme Options, for any other changes to code, I simply use informative Remarks and print the changes, then file under the current release number of the Theme or WP with a note on what the change was done to achieve. Hardly a sophisticated changelog, but has saved my bacon more than once.

Remember to back-up before you upgrade and if you do experience a problem, it is more likely to be an incompatible plug-in than a problem with Atahualpa. You need to back up both the database and the site structure. Good tutorials in here.

Relatively new to this theme myself, but love its flexibility and well worth the donation. The Moderators are great and get back fast!

Top Theme, top support, you made a good choice.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 04:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Make sure to BACKUP YOUR DATABASE before you ever do an upgrade. this will let you revert if something goes wrong, but hey, I don't have to mention this because you are already backing up your database on a regular basis...right??? (if not the 'wp-dbmanager is a great plugin to use)