Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Problem implementing "How to show single post special category on static home page??"

Old Apr 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
mkny13

14 posts · Apr 2009
Forgive my complete WP/PHP ignorance, but I'm having trouble getting the solution posted at http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=837 to work.

I created a category called "news", made a test post with that category, inserted the code provided in that post into the bottom of my index.php, then copied and pasted all the post, post footer, etc code into the middle of the new code. No posts show up on the home page, though

Here's my complete index file: http://drop.io/m78lu83/asset/index-php-sgrl

And here's my site (it's for an Information Architecture class): http://www.valdosta.edu/~foguz/group7/

By way of explanation, in case I'm trying to use a missile where a hammer would do, this is a fairly simple site. We'd like to have mostly static pages and just use posts on the home page (for news) AND on the events page (for library events, with the aid of the Event Calendar plugin.) Thanks a whole lot for any help you can offer. -Mike
Old Apr 26, 2009, 02:44 PM
mkny13

14 posts · Apr 2009
Another way of fixing the problem of displaying news posts on one page and event posts on another occurred to me: Event Calendar allows me to create a link to something like http://www.valdosta.edu/~foguz/group7/?ec3_after=today. Is there any way for me to edit the "Events" link in the Page Menu bar so that it points to this instead of the actual Events page (which wouldn't even exist, if so)?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:08 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You can use the Page2Cat plugin to add posts of a specific category to a specific page. Additionally make the front page a static page at Site Admin -> Settings -> Reading -> Front page displays...

Atahualpa is prepared for the Page2Cat plugin, no file edits required
Old Apr 29, 2009, 06:56 PM
mkny13

14 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks, but page2cat only is tested up to WP2.5, I have to use 2.7.1.

What I ended up doing is having the home page display posts and using Event Calendar 3 to create events and keep them from displaying on the blog page.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:39 AM
mkny13

14 posts · Apr 2009
So now I'm trying out page2cat on another site and I can't get it to work. My barebones page is here: http://www.valdosta.edu/~makastellec/portfolio/ Two Category page mappings: courses>courses, documents>writings. I plan to have the home page static and only display posts on those two pages but I've left posts on the home page for now so you can see how I've categorized them.

Sorry if this is really a question for the page2cat dev, but this is due Sunday and your quick replies have been great so far.

EDIT: also the page2cat support forum is down.

Last edited by mkny13; May 2, 2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:44 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I've used Page2Cat on 2.7.1, please check again. You may be using it wrongly? It has 2 different modes (cat post on page, page content on cat page), and one mode requires that you put template tags into posts. Also, no file edits required, in case you edited the theme somehow for the plugin
Old May 5, 2009, 05:21 AM
mkny13

14 posts · Apr 2009
I don't think I was using the mode that required template tags (I wanted a cat to show up on a page) and I didn't make any file edits for it. Anyway, I ended up using the redirect plugin instead.