Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

[SOLVED] Having trouble modifying menu items

Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:08 PM
marvinmartian

2 posts · Nov 2012
[SOLVED] Having trouble modifying menu items

I have a wordpress site running off bluehost.com here:

www.davetopper.com

Read through the docs wp-admin/theme-editor.php but there are a few issues:

When going to Appearance -> Montezuma Options ->

there is a nice looking breakout and descriptions of various parts of the themes. Ok.

What I'm trying to do on my site is change the icons for each menu. I don't want stars over everything. The theme comes with an image icon file but when trying to select other icons, it either doesn't work or I'm misunderstanding it.

So, from the docs:

// Copy & paste the number of the icon into the CSS code below, (1) // as the second number (2) for the menu item you want to use it for // (3) into the textarea of the appropriate menu, like this:
// #menu1 .page-sample-page > a > i { background-position: 0px -1464px; }

But in my menus_menu1.css I see:

/* Part 1- for default state: */
#menu1 .flying > a > i { background-position: 0px 0px; }
#menu1 .another-page > a > i { background-position: 0px -24px; }
#menu1 .research > a > i { background-position: 0px -48px; }
#menu1 .thinking > a > i { background-position: 0px -72px; }
#menu1 .videos > a > i { background-position: 0px -96px; }

and no amount of changing the 2nd number seems to have any effect.

Also, I'm confused about the above. It would seem as though that code selects a different image for each menu item (eg., 24px, 48px, etc...). But on my page above it clearly doesn't. Stars only (0px) for everything.

I'm just seeking the shortest path to changing the stars into some of the other icons.

Also, I don't actually find a menus-menu1.css file. I do find:

wp-content/themes/montezuma/admin/default-templates/css/52-menus-menu1.css

Even just editing that file directly doesn't seem to change anything.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
you should also see a hover state so the css should look something like
HTML Code:
/* Part 1- for default state: */
#menu1 .page-sample-page > a > i { background-position: 0px 0px; }
#menu1 .page-about > a > i { background-position: 0px -1824px; }
#menu1 .page-sample-page > a > i { background-position: 0px -48px; }
#menu1 .page-page-with-comments > a > i { background-position: 0px -72px; }
#menu1 .item-calendar > a > i { background-position: 0px -96px; }
#menu1 .page-shop > a > i { background-position: 0px -120px; }
#menu1 .page-cart > a > i { background-position: 0px -144px; }
#menu1 .page-checkout > a > i { background-position: 0px -168px; }
/* Part 2 - for hover state: */
#menu1 .page-sample-page:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-sample-page.active > a > i { background-position: -24px 0px; }
#menu1 .page-about:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-about.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -1824px; }
#menu1 .page-sample-page:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-sample-page.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -48px; }
#menu1 .page-page-with-comments:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-page-with-comments.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -72px; }
#menu1 .item-calendar:hover > a > i, #menu1 .item-calendar.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -96px; }
#menu1 .page-shop:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-shop.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -120px; }
#menu1 .page-cart:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-cart.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -144px; }
#menu1 .page-checkout:hover > a > i, #menu1 .page-checkout.active > a > i { background-position: -24px -168px; }
you have to change the icin number in both parts.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:52 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
In the "Using menu icons" section of the theme option make the chages you want. Then copy the resulting code and paste into the appropriate place into the appropriate css section of the theme options such as menus_menus1.css and save.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:39 AM
marvinmartian

2 posts · Nov 2012
Hey guys,

Thanks. I got it. I had to add .page- before the auto-generated code. Works now.

Thanks.