Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Moving left sidebar - CSS styling for td#left

Old Oct 25, 2010, 10:21 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
I am trying to move the left sidebar a little to the right, with CSS.

I've identified the correct CSS selector as td#left, thanks to Firebug.

Yet does anyone know what the correct CSS insert should be? I've tried this:

td#left{
margin-left:100px !important;
}

td#left{
margin-right:-100px !important;
}

etc.

I appreciate any help.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 06:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The sidebars are in table cells so depending on the way your site is styled maybe you could use padding instead of margins. When you say you want to move the sidebar do you mean the widgets inside of them or the whole side bar so that for instance if the sidebar had a border on it the border would not line up with a border around the footer or the header?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:47 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
The sidebars are in table cells so depending on the way your site is styled maybe you could use padding instead of margins. When you say you want to move the sidebar do you mean the widgets inside of them or the whole side bar so that for instance if the sidebar had a border on it the border would not line up with a border around the footer or the header?
I am trying to move the whole side bar so that if the sidebar had a border on it the border would not line up with a border around the footer or the header. This is exactly my issue.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
One way to achieve this effect is to use both the left and left inner sidebars. Set the with of the left sidebar to the amount you want the indent, then add a single text widget with ' ' in the text area. This should cause an empty left sidebar to show. Now add the widgets you want to the left inner sidebar.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:39 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
One way to achieve this effect is to use both the left and left inner sidebars. Set the with of the left sidebar to the amount you want the indent, then add a single text widget with ' ' in the text area. This should cause an empty left sidebar to show. Now add the widgets you want to the left inner sidebar.
This worked perfectly.

Much thanks to both of you, juggledad and lmilesw.