Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

span tag rendered inside menu title tags - bug?

Old Feb 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
cdrice

5 posts · May 2009
Apache Junction, AZ
Send a message via Yahoo to cdrice
Little bug/quirk I noticed in 3.7.3 (may exist in previous versions; I have not verified):

Header Area
-> Menu 1
-> Title tags in Page Menu Bar - Include a "title" tag for each item in the page menu? These will pop up when hovering over a menu item

When set to "Yes", menu entries are generated as follows (note the span tags inside the a title tags):
Code:
<li class="page_item page-item-XXX"><a href="http://.../xxx" title="<span>XXX</span>"><span>XXX</span></a></li>
<li class="page_item page-item-YYY"><a href="http://.../yyy" title="<span>YYY</span>"><span>YYY</span></a></li>
The desired output would be:
Code:
<li class="page_item page-item-XXX"><a href="http://.../xxx" title="XXX"><span>XXX</span></a></li>
<li class="page_item page-item-YYY"><a href="http://.../yyy" title="YYY"><span>YYY</span></a></li>
so the actual "<span>" and "</span>" text does not appear in the hover popup text.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:35 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Doesn't happen to me in a plain vanilla site (WP 3.2.1 Atahualpa 3.7.1)

it is probably caused by a plugin - try disabling all your plugins and see wht happens.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 01:54 AM
cdrice

5 posts · May 2009
Apache Junction, AZ
Send a message via Yahoo to cdrice
Good call. It appears to be related to All-In-One SEO Pack.

However, perhaps even more curiously, the Atahualpa feature (title tags in menu bar) doesn't appear to work at all without AIO SEO activated. I set up a quick dev site with a fresh WP 3.3.1 and Atahualpa 3.7.3, and toggling the "Title Tags in Menu Bar" option made *no difference* in the generated HTML (neither had any title tags in the menu bar at all). I installed AIO SEO, and the title tags appeared (including the span tags). I deactivated AIO SEO, and the behavior went back to no title tags at all, regardless of the "Title Tags in Menu Bar" setting. Behavior was unaffected by toggling the "Use Bytes For All SEO options" toggle as well.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Works fine for me - make sure you are using the Atahualpa menu not a WordPress Custom Menu

If you are using the WordPress Custom menu, you have to add your 'titles' manually in the 'Title Attribute' field for each menu item
Old May 23, 2012, 02:09 PM
flyboy

115 posts · Sep 2010
I have the same issue as cdrice (clean dev site). I have noticed this a while back after one of the updates to Atahualpa (can't quite recall which one, been a year or so). In fact, here is the link: http://www.mlmrogue.com/

Theme is Atahualpa 3.7.7, no plugins and title tags are set to "yes":

No custom menus either:

Code shows no titles appended to the menu links whether the "Title tags in Page Menu Bar" option is set to Yes or No. My first thought was to change the "Use Post / Page Options" to "Yes", but that didn't make any dif either.

Last edited by flyboy; May 23, 2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
turns out that only the first menu item is getting a title and it seems (in my testing) to have been this way since at least 3.4.3. I'll look again tomorrow if my head feels better (17mth grandson has been over since Sunday night and he was so nice as to give me his cold)
Old May 24, 2012, 07:12 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It seems this has never worked. The first menu item, gets the 'site' title but that's it. If you use a WP custom menu and fill in the tags then they show up.

In the theme it doesn't make sense to have the titles since there is no option to add a title for the menu item so the only thing the theme could do is display the page name which is the menu label.