Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

How to Add "Notify Me" checkboxes after posts

Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:31 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
How to Add "Notify Me" checkboxes after posts

A friend of ours with a WP.com blog has "Notify me of follow-up comments via email." and "Notify me of new posts via email." checkboxes under the comment/reply area on her single post pages.

My wife says we should have them too! lol

A good example of the friend's blog may be viewed at http://ruitfarm.wordpress.com/2010/0...rsimmon-twist/

After much reading I've figured out how to insert
"%comments-rss('linktext')% - Displays the comment feed link for a post, with linktext as the link text. "
in a post's footer, but NOT the "new posts" signup and definitely not with the checkboxes.

I'm thinking there must be a plugin at work but I can't figure it out. Our friend doesn't know how she's doing it -- she thinks it just came with her theme.

Thanks Jim
Old Feb 22, 2010, 05:26 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I use this plugin: http://txfx.net/wordpress-plugins/su...e-to-comments/
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:46 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Hey Paula! Thanks! That's got me HALF-WAY there! You have to trust the author of that plugin! I'm going to go back "in" and take a look at the plugin's php to see if I can fathom how Mr. Jaquith worked the magic. Tho, I already know I won't know how to add the OTHER HALF "Notify me of new posts via email." with checkbox

My suspicion that this all was being accomplised by a plugin seems to be correct. There are too many damn plugins! Somewhere someone took this plugin and added the rest of the subscription options to it. I'm thinking that I'll cross-post this over in the Plugins section -- not really a cross-post as much as one re-targeted

Thanks again! Jim
Old Feb 22, 2010, 08:51 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Could you put the RSS email feed link in the post's footer?
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Jim, I suspect that the check box subscription on your friends site is a tweek that wordpress.com is adding in. My guess after taking a look at the source of her page.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:20 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I looked at the theme's page and didn't see any notification stuff as part of it.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:33 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Jim, I suspect that the check box subscription on your friends site is a tweek that wordpress.com is adding in. My guess after taking a look at the source of her page.
Hey JDad! I understand that. When I did an "Inspect Element" on those checkbox lines in Nina's wp.com site the code looked very generic -- not at all like it was reffing back to css in a plugin. I downloaded the "MistyLook" theme to see if it "came with" any plugins ...no

I should probably sign up for a WP.com blog just to see what differences there might be in their Dashboard. Who knows, I might come up with a bunch of new stuff to be asking Flynn for! lol

Tnx! Jim
Old Feb 22, 2010, 09:39 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Could you put the RSS email feed link in the post's footer?
Hey Paula! Yes! Proud to say that I did figure out how to do that. The option was small and grey like all the stuff in that footer area. I'd want to fool with the CSS and make the RSS email feed link option more prominent and prettier

...but, wow, having it be a separate line with the neato checkbox is really compelling. Pam's betting that the subscription rate for her blog would go way up with the checkboxes ...and she being a woman and all, I know she's right ...right?
Old Mar 28, 2011, 02:36 PM
Miserere

3 posts · Mar 2011
Boston, MA
I've also got the Subscribe to Comments plugin installed, and when I changed my theme to Atahualpa 3 the checkbox to subscribe disappeared. I'm still looking for an answer, so anyone who knows the solution, please let me know!

Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:39 AM
Miserere

3 posts · Mar 2011
Boston, MA
Well, I solved one problem and found another! First of all, what I have installed is Subscribe to Comments Reloaded, which adds the extra functionality over the previous Subscribe to Comments of allowing one to subscribe without leaving a comment.

My problem of not having the subscribe to comments tick box show up is due to an option that by default doesn't show it for users (or maybe just admins) who are logged in. Unclicking that option in the plugin's control panel now showed the tickbox and the link to subscribe without leaving a comment.

The new problem is that when you click on subscribe without leaving a comment you're taken to a page that doesn't exist. In theory you should be taken to a settings page, but that isn't working. I'm not the only one with this issue and it's discussed at the plugin's forum here.