Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Centering menu titles vertically & placing a dot/asterisk/icon between menu

Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:39 AM
hnbrace

7 posts · Aug 2010
I found a post on how to have 2 lines of text in the menu. Is there a way to center my single line title vertically? Also can I place a dot, asterisk, or some sort of icon between my menu titles? I have tried to attach a picture of what I am trying to accomplish. My website is expealidocious.com
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	menu.PNG
Views:	1911
Size:	1.2 KB
ID:	1441  
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:54 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The only way I can think of is to put something like the following in the WordPress navigation field for the menu item which will put padding on the top and bottom. You will just have to tweak the padding for you situation.
HTML Code:
<div style="padding: 7px 0;">Blog</div>
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:31 PM
hnbrace

7 posts · Aug 2010
Thank you that worked for the vertical centering. Is there way to add dots or an icon in between the title text?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 02:07 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You probably won't like this but it works. For items with two lines perhaps something like this in the navigation field and tweak the top position as necessary
HTML Code:
Meet <span style="position:relative;top:5px;"></span><br />Heather
For items with one line it is easier with something like this.
HTML Code:
<div style="padding: 7px 0;">Shop •</div>
The dots are created by holding down the Alt key, hitting 7, and releasing the Alt key. There are html codes for dots and other symbols as well and you could even add an image.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:07 PM
hnbrace

7 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks for taking the time to post that but you were right, it didn't look so great. Would you happen to have any other ideas for giving more space between the menu titles? I have had a few people say it looks like the titles run together. I don't particularly like the vertical lines in between but I might have to go that route. Thanks
Old Jun 27, 2011, 06:06 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You could try this in ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts
HTML Code:
#rmenu2 li {
    border-left: 1px solid black;
    border-right: 1px solid black;
    padding: 0 10px;
}
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
hnbrace

7 posts · Aug 2010
I was really hoping to avoid using the vertical lines. I thought I had it figured out using this

#rmenu2 li {
border-left: 1px solid #ffffff;
border-right: 1px solid #ffffff;
padding: 0 15px;
}

Which looks great but when I hoover my mouse over the link it doesn't look as nice because the padding is a different color and there is a the white border shows between. Is there a way to add the space without the look I am getting when I hoover over the title links? Under the ATO>Menu 1 there is only an option for the width of the sub menus. I do appreciate your time and help.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 01:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry... change padding to margin
Old Jun 28, 2011, 04:07 PM
hnbrace

7 posts · Aug 2010
THANK YOU! This works.