Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Upgrade has me terrified

Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:21 AM
runnerb0y

67 posts · Nov 2010
Upgrade has me terrified

Hello,

First of all this is a fantastic theme.

I'm running a website using WordPress 3.0.5 and ATA version 3.5.3. I'm getting ready to do the WordPress upgrade to their latest stable version, and would like to upgrade ATA to 3.7.9. I've got backups of everything and have exported my custom settings in ATA to a text file.

In reading through the various ATA upgrade notifications I cannot tell but it seems to me that WordPress isn't allowing any more custom code (or is that only custom PHP?)? If either of these is a true statement, will I not be able to import my customizations in ATA to the 'new' WP and ATA versions?

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this!

~runner
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:26 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
No php is allowed in the theme options anymore.
If you have done a BDB backup and have a backup of your wordpress folder, I would do the WP upgrade, then manually install Atahualpa 3.7.9 then you can swap back and forth between 379 and 353
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:51 AM
runnerb0y

67 posts · Nov 2010
Juggledad,

Thanks for the advice, that was the method I was going to use.

Just so I'm clear,... any custom HTML/CSS inserts I've done will carry over (once I import them)?
but,
I won't be able to have custom code in the Style & Edit Center Column (the Loop) once I upgrade to the latest WP version??
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You won't even have to import them since they are stored in the database the new version will just yes them
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:01 PM
runnerb0y

67 posts · Nov 2010
10-4 on that being in the database and wouldn't have to import...makes sense.

What about my custom php in the Loop section of ATA? Will that be lost/unusable with the migration to the newest WordPress?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Any custom code in 'the LOOP' option will be lost and needs to be moved int the index.php in 379 - this is due to an (!$%#&) requirement be WordPress.

This is why you should
1) back everything up - DB and files
2) upgrade WP
3) check things out
4) manually install 379
5) copy the code you have in 'The LOOP' option of 353 to a text file
6) edit the index.php in 379 to add in the code you customized
7) activate 379
8) test things - if there is aglitch, re activate 353

and if you are really nervious, hire someone to do it for you.

you could even copy the entire site and install it in a subdomain that you can use for testing, then you could go thru the steps whit that site and make sure things work first.