Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Articles on a Page page need to be displayed as Excerpts

Old Jan 13, 2010, 08:59 AM
AltMedDeva

4 posts · Nov 2009
Hello,

I have articles for a Page page called 'Articles' which is listed in the top menu of my blog. I want the articles to be displayed as excerpts, (because the articles are long) with just a few lines summing up the article. After clicking on an excerpt, I want the entire article to open in another window. I don't want to have to create a new page for each article to appear in.

I have searched for over a week for solutions to this and have tried every suggestion that I found on forums and google searches, but absolutely nothing works.

My 'post' excerpts on the home page works fine. I'm not talking about posts, but Pages (the ones that appear in the top menu of the blog) and how I can have my articles appear on the Article Page with excerpts only and when the excerpt is clicked, the article will appear on a different page. I use Atahualpa version 3.4.4 and WP version 2.9.1. Here is the link to my Articles Page: http://alternativemedicine4babyboome...icine-articles

I would very much appreciate any detailed information on how to resolve this issue.
Thanks ahead of time!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 02:30 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
The "Excerpts from children" plugin should do exactly that for you.

http://welcomechangesradio.com/policies/ uses that plugin.

Hope that helps!

Velma
Old Jan 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
AltMedDeva

4 posts · Nov 2009
Hi,

That link just took me to a website and I didn't see any link for a plugin that would help with my Page excerpt issue. Please advise if possible.

If anyone else has the correct code I could use for this issue, would you please let me know.

Thank you!
Dee
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:59 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Here is the link to Excerpts from Children. Another plugin which works for me is Excerpt Editor which will auto generate excerpts based on parameters you set.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
Velma

272 posts · Feb 2009
Sorry, Dee. I was simply showing you an example of how Excerpts from Children works, so you could decide if it's what you wanted.

You can load the plugin through your Wordpress Admin Page at "Plugins>>Add New". Simply enter "Excerpts from Children" in the search box. That's how I did it. I'm using the plugin on a number of sites.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:03 AM
AltMedDeva

4 posts · Nov 2009
Thank you Larry and Velma for your help! I downloaded/uploaded/activated the plugin Excerpts From Children. I must be doing something wrong because after I put [excerpts-from-children] on my article page using the HTML tab (I did not add anything on the actual HTML index) on that page and then I put <!--excerpt-end--> at the end of each paragraph (there are 2 articles on this page) that I wanted the excerpt to stop at. Well, this still didn't work. I'm about to just give up on it since I haven't been able to find a solution that works or I may be doing it wrong, but I'm not new to website design/HTML.

Did I enter that information on the wrong page?
Thanks again for your help!
Dee
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:47 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Excerpts from Children will generate excerpts from pages that are child pages of the original. When you create a new page you have to select the Parent page in the drop down.

The parent page is where you put [excerpts-from-children] and on each child page you put <!--excerpt-end--> to indicate the end of the excerpt.

Hope that helps.

Also make sure and try the Excerpt Editor plugin as it may meet your needs as well.