Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Unique Home Page Attributes (Background Image, Width)

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:58 PM
jtsharp

23 posts · Mar 2010
I feel like this must have been answered somewhere, but I just can't find it in my searches.

What I would like to do is add CSS (I believe) to give my static home page a unique background for the "body" section (where text or images would go). I've uploaded the image file to the correct place, but can't get it into the body section.

I would also like to give this home page body section a unique width. I've got the sidebars set to NOT display on the home page, and my attempts to change the width (by adding padding to the center column) have resulted in my desired width on the home page but a really skinny body section on other pages due to the sidebars being in place on these other pages.

Here's the URL: http://www.drjeremysharp.com/test

WP version 3.0; ATA version 3.5.1

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:39 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can put unique background images in many places. It could be the Center Column (Style & edit CENTER COLUMN) or perhaps Style POSTS & PAGES if you want a special background for the individual post or pages.

For the unique front page you might try using something like the following with the padding you want and put it in CSS Inserts. This should affect just the front page.
HTML Code:
.home td#middle {
padding:100px !important;
}
I'm not sure if the !important is necessary though.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jul 21, 2010 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Selector reversed
Old Jul 21, 2010, 06:09 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Just in case you tried my previous CSS the selectors were reversed. I have corrected it.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 07:54 PM
Blackjax

9 posts · Aug 2010
New guy here, been working with the theme for about a week in the hopes of putting something together worthy of showing off here. My second site ever to the learning curve right now is steep.

I can use something similar to adjust my home/blog page then as well correct? I have an indent with center column padding on all my pages but want the blog page to be a little different.

What would I put in the CSS to push that back out just on the blog page? I'm still working on it on my local computer so my site is using my old theme. Atahualpa 3.5.3, Wordpress 3.0.1

Last edited by Blackjax; Aug 6, 2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:36 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You just have to determine the unique selector for that page. I use Firefox with the Firebug extension for that or you can look through view source for a page and look for the
<body class= line and use the class to create your CSS.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:45 PM
Blackjax

9 posts · Aug 2010
Ok, I think i got the sector.

In order to make the center of a particular page wider than it is in the standard style & edit center column parameters, should I make the width wider? I'll try that.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:49 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I don't think that will work because the center column width is determined by the layout width minus the sidebar widths. My thought would be to use the page selector along with td#left and td#right to make the sidebars smaller. This would be much easier once we can see your site.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 08:52 PM
Blackjax

9 posts · Aug 2010
I think what I'll do is leave the sidebar on the right because it's not noticeable that way. When I get it done, I'll revisit it and if I keep having other problems, I'll publish as is so the community can see what my challenges are.

Thanks for the help. It's a tremendous resource when you're having to search for answers on every little thing.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 04:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
FYI - if you don't EXCLUDE sidebars from a page (ATO->Style & configure SIDEBARS->xxxxx sidebar: Don't display on Pages then using CSS to hide the sidebar will just not show it, but the space will still be taken up. You have to EXCLUDE the page or use a template to be able to use the space the sidebar takes up.
Old Aug 7, 2010, 02:01 PM
Blackjax

9 posts · Aug 2010
What I've got going on is this, I hope I can explain this correctly. The center column layout has an 80px padding indent on the left from where my logo is to make it line it up better and make the logo look like it extends beyond the body text.

If I use either left sidebar then the indent make a big space between the sidebars and the center column. I'm using only a two column layout throughout the site, only using a right sidebar. On the blog page, I can use some more junk/widgets/information, while keeping a nice center column for people to read.

Maybe it would be easier to customize the home and posts pages. That can wait, I have all of one blog entry up and everything else is on hold until I redesign my current site. Hell, it took me two and a half days to get the font embedding stuff to work.

Appreciate the advice, I'm sure I'll be back when it's done. I've got a little list going