Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Struggling to get equal widths for sub-menu items - use of " !important;} "

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:08 AM
arthurmild

50 posts · Aug 2010
Cape Town
[SOLVED] Struggling to get equal widths for sub-menu items - use of " !important;} "

Hello,

This is all about sub - menus - Specifically styling/forcing their width of them

I have had a read around this but can't quite get started.

Issue:

The basic requirement is I want the sub menu (background)s on this site

to be equal width - like they are on this site (which uses superfish)

/Issue

I'm using 3.4.9 with wp 3.01

I understand (from reading this forum) that

1. the main menu cannot be given a fixed width as it takes the width of its content

2. the sub menu can be given a fixed width (via ATO < Page Menu < ...

3. One can also force this by mucking around directly with the CSS and adding in via ATO < CSS Insert

4. using !important; in the CSS gives a good chance of forcing your new style

5. it really is a bad idea to try and edit the theme php files directly.

So, for the benefit of me and others... firstly have I got 1 to 5 right ?

If so, what can be styled and where should it be styled ?

I have seen JDs stickie,

but also this directly from FF Wed Developer element inspector on my site.

I'm reluctant to just dive in as this project is nearing completion - and although backed up I'm getting to that 'twitchy' stage - { Client is now very obsessed with having equal width sub menus - which is (obviously) the only thing I am struggling with }

I am happy to follow this through though and report back here if anyone can set me off with a useful tip or two.

Thanks in advance

Steve