Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Deactivating Widgets for mobile users

Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:56 AM
ryoung

32 posts · Nov 2012
Deactivating Widgets for mobile users

Is there any functionality in Montezuma to deactivate widgets for mobile users?

I know I can use a plugin like WPTouch, but then I lose the theme.

Does anyone have any advice for accomplishing something like this?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 01:43 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Montezuma is a responsive theme. You shouldn't need a plugin for mobile users.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 03:04 PM
ryoung

32 posts · Nov 2012
Well, what I'm trying to accomplish is to have my left sidebar widget be 'sticky' and float down the screen as the user scrolls.

I can make this work via plugin, but on mobile browsers it 'floats' it down on top of the text as the user scrolls down. Which is not only ugly and trashy, but makes it un-readable as well.

I'd be open to any suggestions. My initial thought was to find a way to make the widget just not appear if a mobile browser user-agent was detected.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:14 PM
jerryc

367 posts · Oct 2012
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung
I'd be open to any suggestions. My initial thought was to find a way to make the widget just not appear if a mobile browser user-agent was detected.
I like to write pages that display well on anything, but I understand your problem, and here's a quick fix that might work. Make the whole div display:hidden. Then, make a javascript that, onload, queries the browser window size and the agent, and if it's not a mobile and a big enough window, changes that to display:block.

The reverse solution would be to make it display as the default, and have js make it hidden if it detects a mobile browser or small window.

I hope this helps. I expect there are solutions that are more elegant and do more, but this might get you started easily.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:07 AM
ryoung

32 posts · Nov 2012
Now just to make sure I'm not crazy....

When I view in my mobile device I get the left side bar on "top" of the main content window, and then the right sidebar 'underneath' that content. It doesn't appear as you would typically see on a fullsize screen.

Is that how it is supposed to work? Or should the responsive theme be scaling everything down to display it as intended?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:35 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
ryoung: yes that IS the way it it is suppose to work.