Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Post-Kicker, -Byline & -Footer »

Headline on post page displays as "Auto Draft"

Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:12 PM
cytaylor

4 posts · Jun 2010
I just downloaded 3.4.9 version and trying to get the headline to render properly on the post page.

The headline renders on the index page, but not on the actual post page. I figured out how to get the kicker to display but underneath it are the words "Auto Draft" then under that the author and date is displayed.

How do I correct this?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 04:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
first I suggest you use 3.5.1 (http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=920
second search the forums, this has been answered already
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:06 PM
johanM

16 posts · Jun 2010
I think it has nothing to do with atahualpha theme. I am using ATA 3.5.1 and it continuous created a new 'Auto Draft' to post table every time no matter what I update, save or do not save the page. Turing off post/page option doesn't solve this issue. I think it is related to wordpress 3's new feature auto-draft, I just don't know how to solve it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp-auto-draft.jpg
Views:	2460
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	549  

Last edited by johanM; Jun 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 02:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
johanM:
Do the posts that this is happening to have any custom fields starting with 'bfa'?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:45 PM
cytaylor

4 posts · Jun 2010
Sorry, I'm not a developer so your question is difficult to answer. Can you restate in laymen's terms please?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Go edit one of your posts that exhibits this issue
Look below the area you type the post, you may see an area of custom fields.
If you see the custom fields, do any start with bfa?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 06:51 PM
johanM

16 posts · Jun 2010
Nope. I meant there is NO effects on bfa_meta data unless the post/page has been saved AND the title is untouched.

The first post title 'Auto Draft', in fact, is created at the same time whenever a 'new page' created and wp will give a new post id to that empty data, when I change that 'default' title, and click 'update', it changed, but wp 3, created another empty line of 'Auto Draft' in the post table, following every update, it created another one...and so on.

a little research here

wp add to 3.0 on purpose, see http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11889

Quote:
  1. creates a post with post_status=auto-draft
  2. First auto- or manual save turns it into a real draft
  3. when auto-drafts are created, it deletes ones older than one week
  4. you now always have a post ID on the post edit screen, which fixes all those attachment- and meta-related bugs. No more fetching new nonces. No more negative post IDs.
and http://wordpress.org/support/topic/411355

Quote:
Auto drafts are what is created when you first visit the edit page so as to ensure any action you take on the page gets correctly associated with the post.
Previously there were issues if you tried to upload images before setting any other attributes on a post and thereby creating a draft post.
On save it will become a real draft and after a while the old ones will be deleted.
To skip with save it as 'Auto Draft', you can made a little modification on the ata's function.php to remove that 'Auto Draft', the funny title will be gone as wished, but this data still create on the db table.

Code:
 (template_dir/function.php, about line 603)
$title = ($post_id->post_title !== 'Auto Draft') ? $post_id->post_title : '';

Last edited by johanM; Jun 21, 2010 at 07:10 PM. Reason: period
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:58 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I was getting this same issue on all my WP 3 sites. johanM's solution fixed it.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 06:28 PM
jessrip

2 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cytaylor
Sorry, I'm not a developer so your question is difficult to answer. Can you restate in laymen's terms please?
Me too - I've read through several posts in the forum but I'm afraid I'm terribly confused. I just want to be able to post to my blog with the actual title again. Also I've uploaded the 3.5.1 version to my host but can't figure out why it's not activating?

Thanks so much for your time and any assistance.

ETA: Finally, figured it out... what worked for me was figuring out how to upgrade to 3.5.1 (if it would have been a bear it would have bit me), and then deleting the custom fields at the end of the offending post that had "bfa". Thank you.

Last edited by jessrip; Jun 22, 2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:16 PM
cytaylor

4 posts · Jun 2010
yep.

bfa_ata_body_title

'Auto Draft' is in the 'value' field. So I deleted it and now my headline shows up.

Does that fix the problem indefinitely or will I have to check w/ every post?

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 22, 2010, 11:30 PM
cytaylor

4 posts · Jun 2010
"ETA: Finally, figured it out... what worked for me was figuring out how to upgrade to 3.5.1 (if it would have been a bear it would have bit me), and then deleting the custom fields at the end of the offending post that had "bfa". Thank you."

So do tell about activating 3.5.1. I'd like to unzip it too but haven't a clue. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are techie and know SSH, you can unzipped it on the host, otherwise unzipped it on your computer then upload the entire folder 'atahualpa351' to the wp-contents/themes folder and it will show up next time you go to dashboard->appearance->themes and you can activate it.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 07:09 PM
webdevgal

1 posts · Jun 2010
I found a workaround (that worked for me anyway) for the 'Auto Draft' problem that will get Atahualpa's metaname/values to work under an installation you've upgraded to WordPress 3.0 while using an older version of Atahualpa even if you haven't upgraded to Atahualpa 3.5.1, without disabling the post/page options (which I use a lot), without modifying code (functions.php) and without ripping the bfa_ata* fields out of your database. Yeah, I wanted the best of all worlds.

It's a simple change in how you use the Edit Page interface.

Type in your bfa_ata_* values, click 'Update' under each name. Then _get_out_ of the page dialog before you make any more changes. Next time you come back into the page editing interface, the bfa_ata* field values you last updated are still set. There's just some problem with synching up the Page 'Update' and the Atahualpa metavalue's 'Update', so they need to be done in separate operations. By the way, clicking update under the metaname then continuing to make regular page Updates without exiting the dialog will not work. You need to exit the Page editing interface then come back in.

I verified this behavior by watching my database through PhpMyAdmin as I made each change. As soon as I hit the metavalue's update field, the correct value was updated. But as soon as I hit the main page's Update, it overwrote my bfa_ata* values with 'Auto Draft'. If I exited the whole dialog first then came back in, subsequent Updates to the page content did not erase my last-updated values.

I see this problem only in sites where I updated both WordPress _and_ Atahualpa. I tested with a fresh install of WP 3.0 and Atahualpa 3.5.1 and this is not an issue.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 02:33 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanM

To skip with save it as 'Auto Draft', you can made a little modification on the ata's function.php to remove that 'Auto Draft', the funny title will be gone as wished, but this data still create on the db table.

Code:
Where do you put the mod exactly? Like before / after which lines? I've edited my functions.php file before and depending on what version of atahualpa you're using, line 603 is probably going to be different.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jun 28, 2010, 07:50 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
In functions.php replace
HTML Code:
$title = $post_id->post_title;
with
HTML Code:
Old Jun 29, 2010, 06:23 AM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
Thanks for the help Larry!
Old Jul 6, 2010, 04:42 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
added to the 'To Do' list for next release (see http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7973 post #1)

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 6, 2010 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:25 AM
hollidaysjohn

16 posts · May 2010
Cambridge, UK
I guess this issue is still outstanding?
Old Jul 23, 2010, 04:44 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Yes it is.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:56 AM
aTart

8 posts · Mar 2009
thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Old Oct 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
ole@oleaustin.com

22 posts · Jul 2009
Austin
I'm now using Atahualpa 3.53.
You tell us to replace the first set of code with the second set of code but that second set of code (the one with auto draft in it) is the line that is already in my functions.php file.
So I thought... maybe they got it backwards. So, I replaced the second set of code with the first. No change. Changed it back. No change.
I set my post/page option to both yes and no. No luck.
Then I updated Wordpresss.
I tried the Yes/No option again. No luck.
I also tried simply deleting the words "auto draft" from the code. That didn't work either.
Is there a step I'm missing?
I have All in One SEO. Could that relate somehow?

Last edited by ole@oleaustin.com; Oct 22, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:19 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Here is the text again and I have added some text to hopefully clarify.

Edit the functions.php (in the Atahualpa theme folder)
At about line 603 replace
with the following

The line you are changing is right after
$thePostID = $post->ID;
$post_id = get_post($thePostID);

So currently the three lines that are there look like
$thePostID = $post->ID;

And what should be there after the change is
$thePostID = $post->ID;

The changes above will only prevent the Auto Draft from happening in the future and will not remove any Auto Draft entries. To get rid of those you will need to get into your database. If you are not clear on what you are doing though don't do anything. As always do a backup before making any changes.
Old Oct 23, 2010, 09:58 AM
ole@oleaustin.com

22 posts · Jul 2009
Austin
So enormously helpful! Thank you so much for helping me sort through the final pieces!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to delete and recreate all the pages I've created in the last week but I did and all in all I'm now VERY happy to have the problem solved (and to have been able to do it myself). Have a great weekend!
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:40 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Me too!

Excellent problem solving.

A(nother) donation will be forthcoming tomorrow.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
athriftymom

2 posts · Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanM
Nope. I meant there is NO effects on bfa_meta data unless the post/page has been saved AND the title is untouched.

The first post title 'Auto Draft', in fact, is created at the same time whenever a 'new page' created and wp will give a new post id to that empty data, when I change that 'default' title, and click 'update', it changed, but wp 3, created another empty line of 'Auto Draft' in the post table, following every update, it created another one...and so on.

a little research here

wp add to 3.0 on purpose, see http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/11889

and http://wordpress.org/support/topic/411355

Code:
Ok so I tried to find that code and its not there. My functions.php only has like 450 lines.. and in the title area there is no word Auto Draft..
any idea of what to do?

also I tried to update manually and it spit out tones of errors on my site and my site went down.. so for now i'm sticking with:

Atahualpa 3.4.1