Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

TinyMCE Advanced plugin - Do we Atalhualpians like it?

View Poll Results: How do you rate the TinyMCE Advanced plugin?
Hate it! ...I uninstalled it 0 0%
not bad ...I use it some on special occasions 1 14.29%
pretty good ...solved some of my problems 5 71.43%
Couldn't live without it! WP should include in the core! 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 9, 2009, 11:57 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
So? This appears to be a MASSIVE plugin -- by its own admission it adds 15 plugins. The extra functionalities all sound very attractive, but I'm worried that all the magic may be accompanied by some downside. Flynn's already pointed me toward a thread in which it sounded like there might be some friction between Atahualpa and TinyMCE

Who is using TinyMCE Advanced and how're you doing with it?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 05:04 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
I've been using TinyMCE Advanced for a few days now, and so far, I love it. You don't have to use all the bells and whistles, just the ones you need. You can choose which ones will load in the editor. I especially love the table builder, find/replace and messy code cleaner.

I found when I was using the Proximity theme, this plugin did cause problems. But so far, everything seems to work fine with Atahualpa.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:40 AM
Nefeli

18 posts · Feb 2009
I followed Paulae's recommendation and only added it yesterday and so far so good. I thought it was causing me problems, but as it turned out I'd added something else to Firefox which was the culprit. It's bit annoying having to add on your own the cut, paste, delete buttons because of Firefox/Mozilla but once installed a God send.

Thanks Paulae
Old Mar 27, 2009, 09:08 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
...<snip>...It's bit annoying having to add on your own the cut, paste, delete buttons because of Firefox/Mozilla but once installed a God send.
Hey Nefeli! Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean by this. Where are you having to add buttons? In the Dashboard?? ...and because you;re using Firefox? ...this would be different if you were using IExplorer?

TTFN Jim
Old Mar 27, 2009, 11:51 AM
Nefeli

18 posts · Feb 2009
Jim

Whenever I tried to use these three buttons up a report came back saying Firefox/Mozzilla did not support the use of these buttons for protection rights or something (in case of multi authors on blog I presume not accidently misusing them? Can't think I remember a reason being given) and it offered a redirection page at Mozilla with instructions on how and where to install the buttons.

Now I don't know if that has happened to anyone else, perhaps it was my problem only, because on the day I did this I was generally having some weird things going on with my desktop, and only when I cross checked things on my laptop, which was working normal there, that I discovered that another firefox add-on was creating my problems so it was after I un-installed the problematic add-on that I actually installed the copy/paste/delete buttons.

Coincedence or happens on every install, I can't say for sure.

You've got me thinking though, I think I'll install TinyMCE on another WPblog and see what happens. Will let you know.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:23 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks for the update Nefeli. I'm only half understanding what you're saying about "the buttons" -- Sounds like the plugin lets you choose which toolbar buttons to install or not (?)

I guess I should jump in and give the plugin a try. If power-user Paula likes it it must be a good one! ...right?
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
CocteauBoy

7 posts · Jun 2009
Hi everyone. For some reason, my installation and activation of TinyMCE just doesn't show. I've tried other plugins to add some functionality to my comments section and nothing ever shows. Does anyone know why?

Troy
Old Jun 29, 2009, 03:31 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Did you configure the plugin? Nothing looks very different until you do. In Settings/TinyMCE Advanced, drag and drop the icons for the features you want onto the toolbar. Then they'll show up in the editor, after you save.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
I'm using it now. Overall I like it. The default buttons it adds to the visual edit toolbar are okay but there's more bang-for-the-buck if you customize it as Paulae noted below.

I do occasionally have inconsistent results ... requiring occasional text cleanup ... but I think this is more an issue with the WP 2.7.1. editor itself than with tinymce advanced plugin. For example, the visual aid button (which is supposed to show the hidden characters, like para marks), doesn't seem to do much except show an random space; so I took it off.

The table tools work, great, once you figure out how they work. I can't get either of the Spell checks to work, but I'm on my dev machine so I'm hoping that fixes itself when I get my site onto my host server. (I've asked the author about "IE Spell" which "should" work locally but haven't heard back yet.)

The only tool bar addition I haven't been able to figure out and thus don't use is "NB Space". No amount of research or googling has got me an answer that makes any sense.

Over all: this is a thumbs up, and a definite improvement over the basic edit functions from WP.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by fromtheranks; Jun 29, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:07 PM
CocteauBoy

7 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Did you configure the plugin? Nothing looks very different until you do. In Settings/TinyMCE Advanced, drag and drop the icons for the features you want onto the toolbar. Then they'll show up in the editor, after you save.
Well, that's what I thought I did. When activated, the TinyMCE settings default to two rows of icons and two empty rows, plus what looks like a bank of further options for adding to any of the 4 rows. I removed all of the unwanted icons from the defaulted two rows by dragging/dropping into the bank, then saved.

Nothing. My Reply/Comments section looks untouched.

Am I missing something?

troy
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:36 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
Dev Env't: XP Pro SP3, IIS 5.1, MySQL 5.1, PHP 5.2.x, WP 2.7.1, Atahualpa 3.3.3, IE 7, FF 3.0.x
If you don't mind Paulae, let me step in and answer ... I just realized what the issue is.

CocteauBoy,

I had the same initial misunderstanding that you apparently have:

Quote:
My Reply/Comments section looks untouched.
TMCEA, is for the internal admin/author Page Edit and Post Edit pages, only. It does not show up on your website for use with Comment/Reply forms, or Contact forms.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You can get some help there with plugins like Comment Quicktags, check out the WP Extend pages for these.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:48 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Dump your browser cache, close the browser, reopen it, reload the page, and try making a new post.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 05:53 PM
CocteauBoy

7 posts · Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromtheranks
If you don't mind Paulae, let me step in and answer ... I just realized what the issue is.

CocteauBoy,

I had the same initial misunderstanding that you apparently have:

TMCEA, is for the internal admin/author Page Edit and Post Edit pages, only. It does not show up on your website for use with Comment/Reply forms, or Contact forms.

Hope this helps.

P.S. You can get some help there with plugins like Comment Quicktags, check out the WP Extend pages for these.
Ohhhhhh!! I did not realize this! Thank you so much. That would never have occurred to me. LOL Why would someone want such an extensive capability to format, but only from the backend? I mean, do admins really put that much formatting into a comment vs users?

Do you have other suggestions for comment formatting, such as formatting and the ability to add images and embed videos?
I have searched and searched and I just can't find any, or I'm not using the the correct terms in the search? I don't know.

Thank you SO much.

troy

[EDIT UPDATE: I found TinyMCE Comments Plugin and it seems to be exactly what I wanted! ThankS!]

Last edited by CocteauBoy; Jun 29, 2009 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jun 29, 2009, 06:17 PM
fromtheranks

149 posts · Apr 2009
CocteauBoy,

You're welcome. BTW, let us know how well this plugin works for you:

Quote:
I found TinyMCE Comments Plugin and it seems to be exactly what I wanted! ThankS!