Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Combined Page + Category Custom Menu Results in Blank Page??

Old Aug 31, 2011, 09:43 AM
swartlkk

12 posts · Nov 2009
I'm not sure when this happened, but I think it was the last update to Wordpress 3.2.1 that borked my site somehow. I have been successfully using a custom menu in Atahualpa for as long as the theme has supported it. Today I went to just look through the pages and all of the sudden there is nothing there...

Started off with just the little smiley face from the bottom of the theme... Switch to another theme and it's all back (phew!). Everything works properly when in any one of the other themes that I have installed in wordpress...

I noticed that there was an update to Atahualpa (was running 3.6.4 with no apparent problems previously) to 3.6.7 so I did that, copying over just my icons & images that make everything work right and... nothing... Clear out the settings, leaving the custom menu in place and still very little... Change to the page menu and it's back.

Also, it would appear that some of my page titles are doubling up when you are viewing the page (example link) in Atahualpa. This does not occur in any other theme. Also, any post title or body that has an ampersand (&) or comma (,) in it the space is no longer after the ampersand when viewing the post (example link)... Again, the posts display fine under other themes... <-- Nevermind. Fixed both with the patches.

I would greatly appreciate help with this. I hope it isn't already covered somewhere else. I did try searching for similar issues...

*EDIT* - I fixed the comma/ampersand and the title duplication issue with the patches listed in the update section. Still stumped on the menu issue.

Last edited by swartlkk; Aug 31, 2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 12:20 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Make sure in the dashboard->appearances->Menu that the menu wi actually set. Updating WP causes some if it's settings to be changed
Old Aug 31, 2011, 02:44 PM
swartlkk

12 posts · Nov 2009
Thanks for the reply! What do you mean by 'menu wi'? I've been bouncing back and forth between menus in that section of the wordpress options. I even went so far as to delete all of my previously created menus and recreated them all from scratch thinking that something must have become corrupted.

Here is how I had these categories laid out in the menu previously that is now broken:

The yearly call categories are nested under 'Calls'. If I do not have the over-arching 'Calls' category listed or put that as a custom link, it will display in IE9 and Chrome, but not in FF7b... This is all very weird since it displays properly if using another theme...

I have received an error message now though:
Quote:
Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 33554432 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 82 bytes) in /home/fayette/public_html/wp_FFD/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 1383
The line # changes depending on where it is in the function call when it dumps out.

As a result of that, I have added the following lines to my wp-config.php:
Code:
/** Set WP Memory Limit to 128M.  */ 
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '128M');
That seems to have done the trick... We'll see. Just a very odd problem that wasn't showing up in all themes or in all browsers...

Last edited by swartlkk; Aug 31, 2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
menu mi was a typo

Is the menu set at dashboard->appearances->Menu->Theme Locations?
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:17 PM
swartlkk

12 posts · Nov 2009
Yes, I have always used Menu 1 as my 'Combined' menu and left Menu 2 blank. I was toggling it back and forth between several different menus in the Menu 1 field while troubleshooting the problem.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
The menu works fine in Safari on the Mac
I walked the events->calls->2011 cals and the first post is 'Call #69 (2011)'
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:40 PM
swartlkk

12 posts · Nov 2009
Yeah, now it does. I added a memory limit line to my wp-config.php file and that seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm still not sure why Atahualpa was affected when other themes weren't...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 03:41 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It has a bigger footprint. Glad it's ok I'll close this issue