Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Headline titles are displayed different in IE than other browsers

Old Dec 21, 2009, 09:21 AM
Jozefs

26 posts · Jul 2009
Belgium
Hi, I have the following problem. I use

font-family: calibri, "gill sans mt", verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
color: #004A96;
line-height: 0.9em;
text-decoration: none;
text-transform: none;
font-weight: normal;

for my titles (color: #990033; for hover color). I also use the plugin wp-subtitle to display a productname above the title. This is styled like this:

.subtitle {
font-family: calibri, "gill sans mt", verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
color: #000000;
font-variant: small-caps;
font-size: 1.2em;
}

The problem is that it all shows well in Firefox, Safari etc. but not in IE7/8. IE shows the titles as Arial, in black and for hove in a kind of green. Also there's a big white gap between the kicker/subtitle and the title. I cannot find the cause. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
What you are probably running into is using a font that IE doesn't support. Do a google search on websafe fonts.

This is one of the issues with fonts and browsers. Even if all the browsers support the font, if I don't have it installed on my computer, then it won't be displayed.

This is why you specify multiple fonts in the 'font-family:' rule
Old Dec 22, 2009, 01:10 AM
Jozefs

26 posts · Jul 2009
Belgium
Thanks, but that is not the issue. Calibri is Microsoft's own font, installed on all Windows computers since at least 2003. The font is available on my machine and as I said it is displayed correctly in other browsers on the same machine but not in IE. Furthermore, if you look at the difference in eg Firefox and IE you'll see that in IE the titles are in small caps just as the subtitle is. Subtitle has font-variant: small-caps but the title doesn't have this. But somehow under IE this element is inherited from the subtitle. But it shouldn't be.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 03:33 AM
Jozefs

26 posts · Jul 2009
Belgium
As always, posing a question makes you think harder about the problem... which is now solved... as I made a typo: not closing a div element with > / Firefox and Safari ignored this, IE did not.

PHP Code:
<?php the_subtitle('<div class="subtitle">','</div'); ?>
should have been

PHP Code:
<?php the_subtitle('<div class="subtitle">','</div>'); ?>
So it now works correctly in all browsers.