Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

How about a "Hard Copy Log" in the ATO?

Old Jul 18, 2009, 04:26 AM
juandrah

24 posts · Jul 2009
How about placing a "Hard Copy Log" option under Tools in the ATO? Hard copy changes don't carry forward in updates but a Hard Copy Log to note those changes in the ATO would.

It would basically be a notepad where admins could store the notes about and code for hard copy changes. Maybe include the New Post CODE option from the forum to separate the code from the notes. Then they could easily be identified, cut, and pasted back in when an update is installed.

juandrah
Old Jul 18, 2009, 05:51 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You can find the ATO options you have changed by looking in the WordPress wp_options table. WordPress even gives you an option to see ALL the options stored there. You must be logged in as an administrator. Just type ...mydomain.com/wordpress/wp-admin/options.php', the ones that start with 'bfa_ata_' are the wordpress options
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:08 AM
juandrah

24 posts · Jul 2009
OK, I'm confused.

If I change an option through ATO then that option should carry through in a version update, correct?

I'm talking about a notepad in ATO for the admin to make notes regarding hard code changes which have been done manually and WON'T survive a version update.

Isn't there a difference?

juandrah
Old Jul 18, 2009, 07:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Yes there is a difference I was just pointing out how you could have a record of the theme options.

While this could be done, you still fall into the issue of a person having to maintain this info. You can do the same thing in any text document. In addition, you could even create a WordPress page that was titled 'Atahualpa Code changes' and leave the page private or as just a draft. Then you would be doing what you want.

The problem, as always, is that the information in that post or text document (or if ever added, the ATO option) is only as good as what was put in it. I can't tell you how many times I 'meant' to document something, but was rushed and forgot to.

Another issue is that even if you are 100% accurate, the code in the next release could may change so the documented changes no longer apply.

this is why I try to stay away from changing the code unless it is a bug fix.
Old Jul 18, 2009, 08:39 AM
juandrah

24 posts · Jul 2009
Thanks, good suggestions.

juandrah