Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Set background image in a post

Old Apr 4, 2009, 09:17 AM
She Bear

2 posts · Apr 2009
Hi,
I'm new to the blog world, but I must say I love this theme. I've got quite a bit of web experience, but need some help on the image thing.

I'm trying to set a background image in my post. I will likely want different images in each post to make them artsy. I'm posting in a table, and then adding the table code to the post with the image set as the table bg. Shows up great in my preview, but live on the site it shows up as a grey box that 'flashes' as you mouse over it.

Any suggestions? All help appreciated.
nt
Old Apr 4, 2009, 08:30 PM
evalee

7 posts · Mar 2009
I too have been trying to change the background, only I am only looking to change the color (I basically want the two vertical columns running down each side of the page to have a color). I have spent hours on this and have had no luck. I believe it is changing the page color however I cannot seem to do this anywhere in the code or in the appearance editor.

This site was interesting:
http://essentialkeystrokes.com/tutor...rdpress-theme/

However it didn't work for me. Would love to get an answer as well.
Evalee
womenandadversity.com
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:52 PM
She Bear

2 posts · Apr 2009
Well I figured it out. I just needed a break from the computer to get my mind back in gear. For the benefit of anyone else reading this...it WORKS to use html and create your post in a table. You can use Notepad or a program to do this. Set the table bg as the url for your image. You may have to edit and play around with the image to get it looking nice in various screen sizes. Then, post in html view beginning with and ending with the table tags.

Now... what was preventing my photo from showing were the table parameters that I had set up for the theme. These are easily changed from your admin panel under Appearance > Atahualpa Theme Options. Click Tables. Make sure the color for the post bg is removed. I removed it from the caption as well. Then be sure that the hover effect is set to 'no.' The default is yes. Voila. Photo now appears in the posts.

Here's my blog....still got some tweaking to do, so it's not linked to any of my sites yet.
http://ebearz.com/News/

With regards to the colors of the side bars.... go to Appearance > Atahualpa Theme Options in your admin panel for wp.
Click Sidebars at the top. Under left and right side bar 'options' respectively, ( they are near the bottom of the page) change the hex number to the color that you want the sidebar to be. The default is white, or ffffff. You could make it grey by changing it to DDDDDD.

Hope it works out for you!
nt

Last edited by She Bear; Apr 4, 2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:21 AM
evalee

7 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks for the feedback and glad you solved your problem. i am still unable to get a background color to show up. I think I may be working with an older version of this template, as I do not have an admin link when I go into Atahualpa theme options

I did go into Body, text and links and in the Body Style window I have this. Not sure why it is not working. Perhaps there is code in the editor that is overriding it. If any one can help would be greatly appreciated.

font-family: tahoma, arial, sans-serif;
font-size: 0.8em;
color: #000000;
background: #SE4DA3;

evalle
Old Apr 5, 2009, 04:36 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
To globally style post containers see Theme Options -> Post /Page Styling

To style each post differently, with colors or images, either do it right inside each post when creating the post or with HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Inserts

XX = ID of a post
HTML Code:
/* whole post container*/
div#post-XX {
}
/* post headline container*/
div#post-XX div.post-headline {
}
/* post bodycopy container */
div#post-XX div.post-bodycopy {
}
i.e. image on left side of post #54
HTML Code:
div#post-54 {
padding-left: 50px; /* making room (50 pixels) for the image */
background: url(/wp-themes/content/atahualpa332/images/image.gif) no-repeat scroll top left;
}
Old Apr 5, 2009, 06:58 PM
evalee

7 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks so much, this does make sense. However it is not working for me. I am going to Post/Page Styling, then in the first field (Post container) this is what I have typed in:

margin: 0 0 30px 0;
background-color: #5E4DA3;

The color is showing up what I believe is the byline container. Here is a link that shows what I am getting:
http://womenandadversity.com/

i am sure this shouldn't be so difficult. while I am new to wordpress, I have put together sites in other programs. Just to clarify I do not want the color to appear behind the sidebars, I want to it appear outside of the container. Help would be so much appreciated and I will be making a donation soon.
thanks so much,
evalee
Old Apr 5, 2009, 07:18 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Currently you have #5E4DA3 on the whole post container

Atahualpa Theme Options -> Post/Page Styling -> POST Container

It looks as if it were the post headline (Post/Page Styling -> HEADLINE Box), but only because the post body box (Post/Page Styling -> BODY Box) has a background color of white (#ffffff).

I am not sure about the area you want to put a background color on

In your earlier post it seemed you mean the sidebars ("...two vertical columns running down each side...") but now it seems you don't want the sidebars ("...do not want the color to appear behind the sidebars...") but "...appear outside of the container..."

Outside of which container do you mean? My post was directed at SheBear who wanted background color or images in the post containers.

You can style the sidebars at

Atahualpa Theme Options -> Sidebars

.. the middle column at

Atahualpa Theme Options -> Center

... the Posts, including Post Headline and Post Footer at

Atahualpa Theme Options -> Post/Page Styling
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:17 PM
evalee

7 posts · Mar 2009
please disregard this post, i went in changed the body style and it seems to working fine now.
thanks again for you help. i will be donating soon.

Sorry for the confusion, I am new to this. I definitely do not want to add color to the sidebars. I am only looking for a background color to fill in the white space the surrounds the entire container (ex. http://www.mylittleredbook.net/) Red color runs down the outer edges and I would assume this would be considered the background of the container.

It sounds like you are saying that I do need to indicate a background in the Post Container (within Post/Page Styling), which I have done, so I am not sure why color is not showing up. I did change the background color in the Headline box to white, but now the color is showing up in a cell below that one.

Perhaps what I am trying to do is not possible with this theme??
thank you so much for all your help

Last edited by evalee; Apr 5, 2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: got it to work
Old Apr 6, 2009, 07:01 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
For posts, you can style the overall container (that contains all the parts such as header, body, footer) and you can style the parts: kicker, header, byline, body, footer

If you see a mysterious background color then you've probably set a background color for the overall container (POST Container) which is "shining through" between the parts inside this POST container.

If you changed the headline box to white but you see another color below that, then it is probably the background color of the POST container.

Please have a look at all those graphics at Post/Page Styling