Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Menu bar fine in IE, misaligned in Firefox?

Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:37 PM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
Hi There,

Recently I upgraded Firefox to v8.0 and noticed some differences on my Menu Bars that span the screen from one side to another compared to how they used to and IE.

See attachement.

Why is this occuring and how can I fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-16 3-31-30 PM.png
Views:	798
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	1618  
Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Those gray bars are a background image. Apparently some changes to Firefox changed something so you will have to fiddle with either the background image or the paddings/margins on the menu.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:58 AM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
Hi There,

Seems difficult to do if it works in IE but not in Firefox. How do you make something browser specific?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:56 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Sometimes it requires adding CSS. For instance I sometimes have to add position: relative for some CSS to work in a particular browser. I wish I could give you a step by step but this is where I would be fiddling in Firebug to figure out the proper CSS. It might require some trial and error.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:17 PM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
I am still looking for a resolution to this issue...

I have done a bunch of searching on the net regarding this and haven't been successful.

Code:
background: #fff url('http://www.medeirosrmt.com/medeirosrmt/wp-content/themes/atahualpa371/images/background7.png') repeat-x top left;
Any help would be appreciated.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Since I could see your site here is one solution that came from fiddling with the CSS. Just add it to ATO>Add HTML/CSS Inserts>CSS Inserts. It is very helpful to learn how to use Firebug and experiment in w3schools.com
HTML Code:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li a, div#menu2 ul.rMenu li a {
    padding: 7px 15px !important;
}
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:02 AM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
Hi There,

I tried your suggestion, and it worked to fix FireFox however, it intern made it appear incorrectly in IE. It is difficult to make them both appear correctly.

This is what I put... This works for IE.

Code:
padding: 8px 15px !important;	
}
This works for FireFox

Code:
padding: 7px 15px !important;	
}
How do I find a happy medium?
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
the easy way to fix this is to get rid of the background image (ato->Body, Text & Links->Body Style)

the 'extension' of the bars is actually part of the background image. Because different browsers render the same font size differently, the height of the menu will be different making the menu height not match the background image (background7.png). You could try putting in some conditional CSS based of the browser and see if that would work (do a google search to see how to do that) or simple change the background image and forget about having the menubars look like they extend across the page.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 08:25 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You could also try em instead of px for the font size and perhaps a transparent background on the menu.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:47 AM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
Hi There,

I was able to resolve my issue. Although i am not happy with it 100%, it will do the trick for now and maybe someone else can make use of this. I am basically using a CSS Hack I guess.

Code:
padding: 7px 15px;
padding: 8px 15px\9;
*padding: 8px 15px;
_padding: 8px 15px\9;
}
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
the easy way to fix this is to get rid of the background image (ato->Body, Text & Links->Body Style)

the 'extension' of the bars is actually part of the background image. Because different browsers render the same font size differently, the height of the menu will be different making the menu height not match the background image (background7.png). You could try putting in some conditional CSS based of the browser and see if that would work (do a google search to see how to do that) or simple change the background image and forget about having the menubars look like they extend across the page.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 09:51 AM
aebrigham

35 posts · Aug 2009
I just wanted to take the time to thank both of you for helping me with this issue. Thank-you for all your help. I appreciate your kindness...
Old Dec 1, 2011, 10:10 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Just curious... What version of IE are you using? I haven't had to play with hacks in awhile.