Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Suggestion to allow easier upgrades...

Old Jul 10, 2010, 09:34 AM
PainFreeComputing

20 posts · Dec 2009
[SOLVED] Suggestion to allow easier upgrades...

Suggestion: Change the theme to allow the use of logo and favicon images that reside OUTSIDE the theme directory.

If we could do this, upgrading would be SO much more simple. Nothing would need to be added to what's in the zip file at all, unless the user had customized some of the code. As is, I have to copy custom images into the theme directory every time I upgrade. I don't use the rotating header images, so I don't know if this suggestion could also apply for them.

Jack

Last edited by PainFreeComputing; Jul 24, 2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 07:46 AM
PainFreeComputing

20 posts · Dec 2009
Surely I'm not the only user who this would help...

Jack
Old Aug 23, 2010, 08:47 PM
PainFreeComputing

20 posts · Dec 2009
Just in case anyone else wants to keep "custom" logo images and favicons outside the atahualpa theme directory, here's how I did this on Apache 2.x:
  1. Create a "custom_images" directory in the DocumentRoot directory (it could be anywhere you want it).
  2. Create an AliasMatch in the virtual host's config file as follows:
    Code:
    AliasMatch ^/wp-content/themes/atahualpa.*/images/custom_images/(.*) [/absolute/path/to/custom_images]/$1
    This is for a Linux box. If you used spaces in your directory names, be sure to escape them in the code. If you use a Windows machine, you should probably put the path to your directory all in quotes and hope for the best. WARNING: Bad syntax can cause your httpd server not to restart.
  3. Restart httpd
  4. Go to the Wordpress Dashboard, Atahualpa Theme Options | Style & Edit Header Area. In the field under "Show Logo Image?" put custom_images/yourlogo.jpg (substitute the actual directory and image name, of course). Upload the custom logo to the directory you created in the first step above.
Now the new Atahualpa theme will not need my custom images copied into it every time I upgrade.

The procedure for the favicon.ico is similar enough that I won't spell that one out. I do not know if this would work for rotating header images, I just don't use those.

Jack
Old Aug 2, 2013, 01:42 PM
PainFreeComputing

20 posts · Dec 2009
This is no longer an issue, since recent versions allow a custom image location outside the Atahualpa theme directory (in wp-content). My solution was simply a workaround. This is an actual fix.

Jack