Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Set a link in Blog tagline?

Old Apr 9, 2009, 01:05 PM
baskenburg

5 posts · Apr 2009
Hi,

Is is possible to create a link in the blog tagline? For instance, making "New England Birdhouse" link to an external site in the tagline "Observations about the business of New England Birdhouse." I tried <a href> unsuccessfully.

thanks
Old Apr 10, 2009, 01:22 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
To do this for all places where the tagline is used on your blog (including places that may not be visible), filter the bloginfo function (which contains the tagline) by adding the following to the bottom of functions.php - without causing any blank lines or spaces in functions.php:

PHP Code:
<?php        
function blog_filter($string$show) {
    if ( 
$show == "description" ) {

$string str_replace('New England Birdhouse''<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/">New England Birdhouse</a>'$string);
    }
return 
$string;
}
add_filter('bloginfo''blog_filter'10);
?>
This would be a problem if for instance a SEO/Meta Tag plugin uses the tagline and puts it into the <HEAD>...</HEAD> section as a meta tag. If you use the solution above, click through your site afterwards, view the source code and make sure you don't have something like

<meta name="meta name here" content="Welcome to <a href="...">blog description</a>" />

in the <HEAD> .... </HEAD> section of any page of your site, because that may confuse search engines.

The other way to do this, perhaps better for what you want to do, would be to edit functions/bfa_header_config.php

Change

PHP Code:
ob_start(); bloginfo('description'); $logo_area .= '<p class="tagline">' ob_get_contents() . 
'</p>'ob_end_clean(); 
to

PHP Code:
$logo_area .= '<p class="tagline">Your tagline with <a href="link">a link</a> here</p>'
Old Apr 10, 2009, 10:28 PM
baskenburg

5 posts · Apr 2009
Thanks!

Your second alternative works like a charm.

Very much appreciated.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:07 PM
Azzaspec

1 posts · May 2009
I'm trying to do something similar. Why can't I find the edit functions/bfa_header_config.php. Can you help me locate it??

Thanks!
Old Nov 26, 2009, 09:23 AM
ScottKarlins

16 posts · Apr 2009
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
To do this for all places where the tagline is used on your blog (including places that may not be visible), filter the bloginfo function (which contains the tagline) by adding the following to the bottom of functions.php - without causing any blank lines or spaces in functions.php:

PHP Code:
<?php        
function blog_filter($string$show) {
    if ( 
$show == "description" ) {

$string str_replace('New England Birdhouse''<a href="http://www.yoursite.com/">New England Birdhouse</a>'$string);
    }
return 
$string;
}
add_filter('bloginfo''blog_filter'10);
?>
This would be a problem if for instance a SEO/Meta Tag plugin uses the tagline and puts it into the <HEAD>...</HEAD> section as a meta tag. If you use the solution above, click through your site afterwards, view the source code and make sure you don't have something like

<meta name="meta name here" content="Welcome to <a href="...">blog description</a>" />

in the <HEAD> .... </HEAD> section of any page of your site, because that may confuse search engines.

The other way to do this, perhaps better for what you want to do, would be to edit functions/bfa_header_config.php

Change

PHP Code:
ob_start(); bloginfo('description'); $logo_area .= '<p class="tagline">' ob_get_contents() . 
'</p>'ob_end_clean(); 
to

PHP Code:
$logo_area .= '<p class="tagline">Your tagline with <a href="link">a link</a> here</p>'

Flynn,

Trying to do method #2 in your text above, but in my bfa_header_config.php file, I cannot find the code to change. I am using version 3.4.2

Thank you!
Scott K.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 07:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
in version 3.4.2-3.4.4 change line 168 of bfa_header_config.php from
HTML Code:
$logo_area .= '<p class="tagline">' . $bfa_ata['bloginfo_description'] . '</p>'; 
to
HTML Code:
$logo_area*.=*'<p*class="tagline">Your*tagline*with*<a*href="link">a*link</a>*here</p>';
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
ScottKarlins

16 posts · Apr 2009
Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the reply Juggledad!

One additional question... How do I do just text, but make my Tagline multiline? I want to do some text, then on the next line some more text, so that it all is not on one long line.

Thank you!
Scott K.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 07:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
try adding a '<br>' where you want the line break
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:17 AM
ScottKarlins

16 posts · Apr 2009
Atlanta, GA
Ok, I am putting my Title and Tagline overlaying on my header, not above it.

I see this further down the bfa_header_config.php:

if ( $bfa_ata['overlay_blog_title'] == "Yes" OR $bfa_ata['overlay_blog_tagline'] == "Yes" ) {
$header_image .= '<div class="titleoverlay">' .
( $bfa_ata['overlay_blog_title'] == "Yes" ? '<h' . $bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'] . ' class="blogtitle"><a href="' . $bfa_ata['get_option_home'] . '/">' .
$bfa_ata['bloginfo_name'] . '</a></h' . $bfa_ata['h_blogtitle'] . '>' : '' ) . ( $bfa_ata['overlay_blog_tagline'] == "Yes" ? '<p class="tagline">' .
$bfa_ata['bloginfo_description'] . '</p>' : '' ) . '</div>';

So, I assume I make my changes here? I tried inserting what you had in your post, and I get errors. Does something different need to go here?

Thank you,
Scott K.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:54 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
if you are using the overlay, then you want to change line 296 (ver 3.4.2 - 3.4.4) from
HTML Code:
			$bfa_ata['bloginfo_description'] . '</p>' : '' ) . '</div>';
to
HTML Code:
			'Your tagline <br>with <a href="link">a link</a> here</p>' : '' ) . '</div>';
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:24 AM
ScottKarlins

16 posts · Apr 2009
Atlanta, GA
Juggledad,

Thank you! That did the trick. Much appreciated!

Scott K.