Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Mysterious Widget Behavior After Update to 3.7.13

Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:00 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
I just updated to 3.7.13 and I have some mysterious widget behavior in my right sidebar on hellobeautyblog.com:
  • Categories and archives by month are showing up underneath the text that is supposed to show up
  • Sample widget text is showing up at the bottom of my widgets

I've gone through the html for all my widgets and can't find where this is coming from. I have included screenshots. Any suggestions?

Thank you!
Sonja
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-03-27 at 4.52.46 PM.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	2526  

Last edited by sonjasays; Mar 31, 2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:12 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Did you go to both the header and footer sections in the theme options and hit the green save button at the bottom?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 04:26 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
Thank you for your quick reply. I just tried hit the save button in all the header and footer sections but I didn't see a difference. Any other suggestions?

Thank you,
Sonja
Old Mar 27, 2014, 06:54 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I would also look at code in the widget areas for code that that isn't closed properly or has other syntax errors.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 12:53 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
I've looked through the widget code and don't see anything. The widgets were all working fine until I did the update. The categories, etc. only showed up after the update.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 08:26 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Try deactivating all the plugins to see if there is a conflict. Then if the problem is gone reactivate one at a time to see which plugin is the issue. It looks like it might have something to do with an ad plugin.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
how wide have you set your right inner widget area to?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:02 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
Thank you for this suggestion. I deactivated all plugins and the same problem is appearing. With all the plugins deactivated, I removed all the widgets from the right sidebar and the same problem is appearing - a list of recent posts along with categories on top are still there as well as links to archives by month and "sample widget text." I've attached a screenshot. Any other suggestions? I'm totally stumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Try deactivating all the plugins to see if there is a conflict. Then if the problem is gone reactivate one at a time to see which plugin is the issue. It looks like it might have something to do with an ad plugin.

Last edited by sonjasays; Mar 31, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:06 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
These are the settings on the sidebars:
  • Left sidebar 170
  • Left inner sidebar 170
  • Right sidebar 350
  • Right inner sidebar 0

Should the left sidebars be set to 0 since I don't have anything on the left?

Thank you,
Sonja

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
how wide have you set your right inner widget area to?
Old Mar 31, 2014, 12:53 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Try this, go to the sidebar options and press the SAVE at the bottom and see what happens
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:12 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
Thank you. I just tried that but I'm not seeing any change.
Any other suggestions?

Thank you for your help,
Sonja

Quote:
Try this, go to the sidebar options and press the SAVE at the bottom and see what happens
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Your right inner set to 0 width and having widgets in it is the culprit.

To not display a sidebar you set the "display on" or "don't display on" settings.

What sidebars have widgets in them?
What sidebars to you want to show?
Of the ones you want to show how wide do they need to be?

These are the questions you need to answer to set up the sidebars correctly.

Last edited by lmilesw; Mar 31, 2014 at 01:35 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 01:43 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
Woohoo! Getting closer! I'm not sure why there were widths set for the left sidebars since there was nothing in them. I changed the left sidebar widths to 0. I also noticed that the right inner sidebar was set to display on all the pages even though there are no widgets in it so I unchecked all those boxes.

When I did that, the categories that were appearing on top of the recent posts disappeared as did the sample widget text. However, there are still 20 recent posts appearing and now something that says "meta" with links for logging in and to Wordpress even though I currently have no widgets in any of the sidebars (see screenshot).

Per your questions... the right sidebar is the only one I want to show, have widgets in and at a width of 350. Currently, that is the only sidebar with pages checked for it to display in and I have 350 in the width. All the other sidebar values are 0.

I also just remembered that I created a bottom widget area awhile back, which I would like to continue to use (for troubleshooting purposes, I removed the widgets I had in that area for now). This is the code I have for the bottom widget in Footer: Content:
<?php bfa_widget_area('name=bottom widget&align=1'); ?>

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Your right inner set to 0 width and having widgets in it is the culprit.

To not display a sidebar you set the "display on" or "don't display on" settings.

What sidebars have widgets in them?
What sidebars to you want to show?
Of the ones you want to show how wide do they need to be?

These are the questions you need to answer to set up the sidebars correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-03-31 at 2.36.32 PM.png
Views:	1004
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	2533  

Last edited by sonjasays; Mar 31, 2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2014, 05:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
when you have a sidebar active, if you haven't added a widget to it, there is, by WordPre3ss default, several widgets that are displayed. Once you add a widget, these default widgets go away since you are now determining what should be there.
Old Apr 1, 2014, 04:49 PM
sonjasays

10 posts · Dec 2009
St. Louis
Wonderful! I added my widgets back in and the other stuff disappeared. Thank you both SO much for your help!!!

Quote:
when you have a sidebar active, if you haven't added a widget to it, there is, by WordPre3ss default, several widgets that are displayed. Once you add a widget, these default widgets go away since you are now determining what should be there.