Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

Caching WordPress with WP-Cache 2, WP Super Cache & PHP Speedy

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:23 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Caching WordPress with WP-Cache 2, WP Super Cache & PHP Speedy

If your WordPress site feels slow or the host is complaining about resource usage try these plugins:

WP-Cache 2

I recommend this as a first (and possibly only), easy to install step to significantly speed up your site

WP Super Cache

Unlike WP-Cache 2, WP Super Cache does not use any PHP processing and serves static pages with URL rewrite rules on web server level. In a traditional Apache setup this does not help with memory usage but due to not using PHP more pages can be served on the same hardware.

Differences between WP-Cache 2 and WP Super Cache:

Requirements:
  • WP Super Cache requires that you have Permalinks ON
  • WP-Cache 2 works with both Permalinks ON and OFF
Installation:
  • WP Super Cache may require manual edits
  • WP Cache 2 usually installs automatically without manual intervention
Speed Improvement:
  • WP-Cache 2 makes your site very fast, and can handle a ton of pageviews
  • WP Super Cache makes your site very fast, and can handle even more pageviews

The above mentioned plugins don't solve another issue of typical Web 2.0 sites, including WordPress Blogs, though: A theme might have a dozen extra CSS and JS files all by itself, and every plugin might add another 1-5 so you'll end up with 20, 30 or even more extra files that need to be loaded before your site is ready.

PHP Speedy

PHP Speedy consolidates those many files into ONE CSS file and ONE Javascript file. The speed improvement may be even more drastic than with the Caching plugins. Using both a caching plugin and this "extra file consolidation plugin" should make your site load almost instantly.