Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » ThemeFrame Presales »

Themeframe - first impressions with the pre-beta

Old Dec 14, 2009, 03:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
As you all probably know, I'm an independent user - I don't work for Flynn. I did tech support for 25 years on various platforms from mainframes down to pc's and when I found Atahualpa I started answering questions and Flynn finally asked me to be a moderator and he generously put up a donate button for me (thanks to all who have found my help valuable and donated to me!)

One of the benefits to being a moderator is that Flynn has given me the chance to break...um..er..try out ThemeFrame before it goes public. And, like any good support guy, I tried to screw it up in every way I could (every bug I find and he fixes is one that twenty of you won't trip on).

The version I played with was the 'plugin' version - this will not be what is released. What will be released will be a stand alone product, ie it won't run under the WordPress umbrella, it will run on it's own. You will be able to include the CSS in your theme, etc, but that's to come and I haven't seen it yet, so back to the pre-beta version.

When I took my first look, I was intimidated!! Where are the nice boxes I love in Atahualpa, what are all these boxes??There are so many options...I was very nervous. This is not for a beginner!

But then I started to poke at the beast and...it didn't bite me! I realized that there are settings for each section of the page and each one brings up the same box. And then I started setting some of the items ("Let's make the border, green and slide the...oooh look at that...it's getting bigger!!! Oh cool I can set three corners or just one. I didn't know you could set the spacing between words?)

Just to give you an idea of the sheer number of options, for each element there is a:

BORDER
- you can set all or any combination of sides.
- each side can be solid, dotted or dashed - independent of the other sides
- each side can have it's own color
- each side can have it's own thickness

MARGIN
- each margin can be set independent of the others or set to AUTO

PADDING

CORNER
- you can set all or any combination of corners.
- you can set the diameter of each corner different
- you can choose (or not choose) to create the corners for IE 6/7/8 (With Javascript)

BACKGROUND
- color
- repeat - both, x, y or none
- scroll or fixed
- background image that you can select
- set the position of the image with a set of sliders

TEXT
- font family - up to three choices
- font color
- font weight
- font style
- font alignment
- font size (via a slide bar)
- line height (via a slide bar)
- letter spacing (via a slide bar - can go negative)
- word spacing (via a slide bar - can go negative)
- text indent (via a slide bar)
- text transform
- text variant
- text decoration

SIZE
- set the horizontal and vertical independent, or have them set automatically
- use PX, EM or %

POSITION
- Display (none, block inline, inline-block, inline-table, list-table, run-in, table, table-caption, table-cell, table-column, table-column-group, table-footer, table-header, table-row, table-row-group, inherit)
- Visibility (visible, hidden, collapse, inherit)
- Z-index (-5 to 10)
- Overflow (visible, hidden, scroll, auto, inherit)
- Float (left, right, none, inherit)
- Clear (right, left, none, both, inherit)
- Position (absolute, fixed, relative, static, inherit)
- top/bottom/left/right auto or set with sliders

All this for each and every one of the 72 areas of the layout, 7 areas of the content, 16 areas of the horizontal menu and 16 areas of the horizontal menu 2.

Oh, and did I forget to mention the sliders to set the sidebars and layout width and the import/export settings and create function for the CSS and JS Files??

While it seems overwhelming, it's not, it's just a powerful program that's going to turn CSS style sheet creation into a WYSIWYG.

And to think, Flynn has coded this all himself.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 05:37 PM
jack96161

66 posts · May 2009
Sounds great! Any plans for a full set of documentation in addition to a video or two? Like many others, I'm more of a reader than a watcher, so a complete set of documentation would be a big help.

Jack
[Backhanded way of repeating my previous offer to help write and/or edit some documentation.]
Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:39 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
JD, you lucky dog! Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on this thing. Kudos in advance to Flynn for all of his hard work on Themeframe, and to you, JD, for helping him out here so he could concentrate on the coding.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:57 AM
byronyasgur

17 posts · Feb 2009
Quote:
The version I played with was the 'plugin' version - this will not be what is released. What will be released will be a stand alone product, ie it won't run under the WordPress umbrella, it will run on it's own. You will be able to include the CSS in your theme, etc, but that's to come and I haven't seen it yet, so back to the pre-beta version.
sorry - could you explain this a bit better - i thought themeframe was a wordpress theme like Atahualpa, what do you mean by it wont run under the wordpress umbrella - am i reading this wrong ?

im sure this has been covered somewhere else but i didnt see it so if it is then apologies
Old Dec 15, 2009, 08:25 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Themeframe WILL CREATE stylesheets that can be used with a WordPress theme (and in the future with some other products). But the program will not be part of wordpress, ie you won't get to it from the WordPress dashboard.

I don't have the specifics, but I imagine you will install it in a folder on your site - say 'themeframe' and then to start it you will use 'http://yourdonaim.com/themeframe' and it will start running so you can create your theme.

Does that help?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
byronyasgur

17 posts · Feb 2009
yes thanks - but hopefully we'd be able to use themframe to edit the generated theme remotely is all im wondering - but we'll have to wait to see
Old Dec 15, 2009, 01:35 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
JD, it's fun to imagine what it's going to be. I had thought it would be more like Artisteer, an application that will create a new theme, then output the code to be imported into WP as a theme.

But looking at the URL in the video, it looks like it's really part of WP admin, more like a plugin?

Last edited by paulae; Dec 15, 2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 02:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
It WAS a plugin, but it WILL BE a stand alone product (php, online).
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:37 AM
shumes1025

9 posts · Aug 2009
If the new themeframe will not be a Word Press theme then

How will that affect all present WP Ata sites?
Will ata no longer be supported in WP?
What about Plugins from WP, will they still work and can new ones still be applied?
Old Dec 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It will be/create a Wordpress theme
Old Dec 17, 2009, 09:12 PM
marcelo

12 posts · Dec 2009
Can't wait to start using it!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 11:45 AM
bsizzle

9 posts · Jan 2009
Hi Flynn, any estimate for when the public beta will be released?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:05 PM
ovizii

16 posts · Feb 2009
Just curios about one thing:

will this themeframe product help me built themes (standalone ones) or is it like a theme framework like thesis or hybrid?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
it builds a stand alone theme - once the theme is created it can be used without ThemeFrame. It currently builds themes for wordpress, but the developer has stated that the future may include Joomla themes and more.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 3, 2010 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:43 PM
Bob Horn

2 posts · May 2009
JD, I submitted my $40 via PayPal yesterday but have not seen anthing appear to change that gives me access to the pre-beta. Can you please advise me as to what I need to do? I have my confirmation number, if you need it.
Thanks very much,

Bob
Old Jan 13, 2010, 06:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Bob, you should be set now to access the ThemeFrame Members forum
Old Jan 28, 2010, 06:14 PM
adum

85 posts · Jun 2009
If Themeframe is able to produce Joomla themes, that would be incredible because I really want to learn how to use Joomla, but I don't know of any easy to edit themes like Atahualpa for it. Themeframe would be the perfect solution.

I love Atahualpa because of how easy it is to customize, there is no other Wordpress theme that matches it. Themeframe appears to be pretty much the same...but better.

Going to donate to get to $40...hope Flynn's special is still going on.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:06 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovizii
Just curios about one thing:

will this themeframe product help me built themes (standalone ones) or is it like a theme framework like thesis or hybrid?
As mentioned by Juggledad, it will create standalone themes so in that regard it is very different from Thesis or Hybrid and more like Artisteer if you will.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:10 PM
victorm

11 posts · Feb 2010
I did not have enough time for poking around this, but could you give access to this to a MU user? to customize/create his/her own themes? that would be awesome...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
ThemeFrame doesn't run 'under' WordPress, it is standalone.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 07:41 AM
jdwrite

12 posts · Aug 2009
I'm intrigued.

-How are people finding Themeframe now that it's been available for a while?
-As a semi-competent Atahualpa user (but no coder) would I be lost?
Old Feb 23, 2010, 11:14 AM
rove

85 posts · Jun 2009
Phoenix, Oregon
Only temporarily. I'm not a coder either, and I was boggled with all the options and sliders.... but following the instructions I had my first test site up by the end of the day.

Altho it's not the same, knowing Atahualpa and its options, you would soon be at home with TF, I'd think. mho

Rob