Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Anyway to make this theme load faster?

Old Jan 1, 2010, 09:37 AM
senserene

4 posts · Dec 2009
Hi

Actually I just registered with this hosting company on the recommendation of my friend. I've never registered before so I have no idea about these matters. If I do not change hosting companies, is it not possible to get the website to load faster?

Thanks.

Serene
Old Jan 1, 2010, 11:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
senserene, if you have read thru this thread you will see that it's all about trade off's. If you want incredibly fast response, you can get it, however the trade will be lots of $$$'s. if you want to spend as little as possible on your web site, then you are probably going to see 'not the best' speed loading the pages.

there are so many variables that affect speed (what is your connection speed to the internet, if you are dialup, it swill be slow no matter what - how fast is your computer, what is running on your computer, how many hops thru the internet is is from your computer to the host, how much data is your web page grabbing from some other computer on the internet,...the list goes on and on.

this isn't the place to solve the problem. If you don't understand what has been mentioned and don't know how to do some of the things, then I recommend that you hire someone who does know what they are doing. good luck.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 02:50 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Senserene, I notice that your homepage has nothing in the title area of the header. I don't know if that matters at all, but I wonder if it might slow things down?

HTML Code:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" dir="ltr" lang="en-US">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />
<title></title>
Old Jan 4, 2010, 06:35 AM
senserene

4 posts · Dec 2009
Hi

Thanks. I'll go look into it.

Regards
Serene
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:25 AM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
Revisiting this thread -

My client has dozens of websites on GoDaddy shared hosting; with lots of wordpress scattered into that mix (as primary sites or integrated into HTML sites) I'm pretty certain there's some kind of problem between GoDaddy's servers (at least the shared ones) and Atahualpa.

When ATA is the theme, load times can be very long - up to 9 seconds with only a few plugins. The biggest thing I see is when making changes in ATA theme options; I can make two or three changes, but then I'll, say, paste in a CSS insert or add a line somewhere, hit the big green button and... page tries to refresh forever until I get a "can't find the server" message. If I try to open the blog in another browser, same thing - totally hung up, "no server", and it takes about 5 minutes to come back to life. (I'm assuming it has possibly something to do with GD's implementation of MySQL? Or it's just traffic overload on a shared server?) Doesn't happen when using the wordpress page or posts interface, or with simpler themes I use - ATA's the only theme I use that seems to use some sort of database of its own though.

Thus, developing a site design with ATA on GD is (to be mild) very frustrating. However, I can do design things with ATA that would take major, major hacking in any other theme I know of.

My client's pretty big (an NYSE co. in fact) and it seems pretty silly for them to be using all this "consumer" -ish shared hosting on GoDaddy; I'm going to talk to sales today and see if we can get our own server or some sort of solution - I'll let you know how it goes.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 09:44 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I feel your pain. It does sound silly for your client to be on godaddy. At the very least, they should be on a dediicated server. Try hostgator. My atahualpa sites run fine there on shared servers.

I wonder if you have a corrupted database that could cause your odd problems.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:07 AM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
Nope, this seems to be a standard issue with ATA and GoDaddy - getting it on many sites.

Just talked to their sales/support, I think we'll buy a dedicated and try it out.

The way it would work is, we get the server with an ip address for transferring files & development, and then just re-point URLs as needed - right now I'm developing a wordpress version of an existing site... and transferring that test site to the root when completed was worrying me, as we'd have some downtime. (Luckily in this case all my external images are in a static root level directory that won't change when WP is moved, and all of them use absolute paths, so most of my linked graphics should be fine).

Now my worry would be developing a site on an IP address setup, have to see what to use for the wordpress blog address in that case... and we use Cforms to track where form submitters came from (if they came from PPC we can track that, etc) but Cforms relies on a site root path, etc...

My head already hurts too much by 5PM! But I've managed to visually duplicate an existing site that's 100% flash with ATA/Wordpress so we've now got far more update and page-depth flexibility. Can't imagine doing that with a standard theme. Pretty dang cool.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 12:46 PM
Romson

1 posts · Feb 2010
Rotterdam, NL
Try this http://code.google.com/speed/page-speed/ in google webmaster tools. It worked for me.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 08:00 PM
Stang5_0

26 posts · Apr 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Send a message via ICQ to Stang5_0 Send a message via Yahoo to Stang5_0 Send a message via Skype™ to Stang5_0
You guys are good. It seems everyone that came with sloooow speeds are quite zippy now.
Let me show you slow. www.stangsgarage.com

I'm been doing away with plugins, but I'd like to hear what the speed looks like on your end as I know PC's and whatnot can all be different. This theme totally rocks and I know I can get my site quicker.

The site is over 10 years old now and getting more traffic than ever before. I don't want to scare people away with slow load times now that they are coming. Any help after a visit to The Garage would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stang
KF7HWA
Old Apr 27, 2010, 05:25 PM
Gravity

34 posts · Sep 2009
Anyone using PHP Speedy still? The developer doesn't look very active anymore
http://aciddrop.com/2009/02/
Old Apr 28, 2010, 04:48 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity
Anyone using PHP Speedy still? The developer doesn't look very active anymore
http://aciddrop.com/2009/02/
Well it makes your page load slightly faster, but your CPU/RAM usage will skyrocket. Use W3 Total Cache (quick but not incompatible with many plugins) or "WP Supercache Plus" (not WP Supercache which is slower), if you wan't to speed up the site. And switch to php-fpm and nginx for hosting.
Old Apr 29, 2010, 02:58 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I already implemented and tested the new way options are saved and retrieved in 3.4.7 and it works well so far, only 1 query instead of up to 250+ per pageview. 3.4.7 will be released within very few days.

I wanted to finish the import/export functionality, the second big improvement, as well for 3.4.7 but will probably leave that for 3.4.8
Old May 12, 2010, 03:22 PM
jkfly4

115 posts · Nov 2009
Hi

Just doing a bit of reading up on gzip.

Would this code do anything in my header file above the first line.

<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>

Would it compress anything

Many thanks
Old May 12, 2010, 03:36 PM
extremecarver

126 posts · Jul 2009
Flynn told that he will in future (next major version?) change the style to be external static by default.. then it will for sure be available as gzip version and should be again a major performance upgrade. I just hope it will not break qtranslate....

As for gzip, just install wp-supercache-plus or another good caching system, then all second and further page requests get the full page gzipped anyhow. Even if deflate is very fast, you would not want to compress on the fly all the time (all plugins that do things this way, will in reality really slow down your server, worst plugins like phpspeedy that are your best bet if you want to crash your server).
Old May 26, 2010, 05:02 PM
globalnerds

43 posts · Nov 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
My site is also running really slow, http://www.minenightclub.com. I am running the following:

WordPress 2.9.2.
Atahualpa 3.4.4
PHP 5
MySql 5.0

CSS / Java are set as external

I have only a few plugins installed.

I have tried the following plugins (not at the same time) in the attempt to speed the site up, but I did not see a difference:
Quick Cache
WP Super Cache
W3 Total Cache (this is the one that is active right now)

In this forum post, someone mentioned using WP Super Cache 2 - but it looks like this plugin is no longer available.

I have also reorganized and analyzed my database tables - still no discernible effect.

One of the things I have read about doing is to update the header.php using static title, favicon and stylesheet - however in the BFA header.php the area of the code to change is not that straight forward to be able to change this.
Old May 26, 2010, 07:29 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Who is the host and if you are on a shared server, how many other sites are being shared there? You will probable have to ask the host about that.
Old May 28, 2010, 06:33 PM
docfox

24 posts · Dec 2009
If I make the switch from Inline to External, will ATA automatically re-configure the files, or is there something I need to do?

Doc
Old May 28, 2010, 09:12 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Globalnerds... Your backbround image is 769KB which could be contributing to a slow load time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalnerds
My site is also running really slow, http://www.minenightclub.com. I am running the following:

WordPress 2.9.2.
Atahualpa 3.4.4
PHP 5
MySql 5.0

CSS / Java are set as external

I have only a few plugins installed.

I have tried the following plugins (not at the same time) in the attempt to speed the site up, but I did not see a difference:
Quick Cache
WP Super Cache
W3 Total Cache (this is the one that is active right now)

In this forum post, someone mentioned using WP Super Cache 2 - but it looks like this plugin is no longer available.

I have also reorganized and analyzed my database tables - still no discernible effect.

One of the things I have read about doing is to update the header.php using static title, favicon and stylesheet - however in the BFA header.php the area of the code to change is not that straight forward to be able to change this.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:29 AM
globalnerds

43 posts · Nov 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
lmilesw - thanks for the catch on the size of the background. I have changed it so that the background image is now 98kb and the header is now 33kb - I don't see a big difference.

This site is being hosted on Godaddy shared hosting, but I have other sites on the same platform and don't see the types of load times as this site. I can't figure out what the issue could be.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!!
Old May 29, 2010, 10:49 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
The background image is still large for a background. I see it as 70k, but the dimensions are huge: 1600px × 1172px (scaled to 886px × 649px). Can you try the load-time with no background image at all?

Even on the dress code page, it's almost 3 seconds to load, 154 queries. I'm not sure why there are so many queries. My front page has a zillion queries because it's accessing so much information, and I cut down on the number of queries a lot by using the DB Cache Reloaded plugin.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:24 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The registrar is listed as moniker.com and I can't get to their site. Could they be having some DNS latency issues? Maybe you should transfer your domains to GoDaddy since that is where they are hosted. I have also read mixed reviews of GoDaddy as a host.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:26 AM
globalnerds

43 posts · Nov 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
Thanks paulae for the info. I have removed the background image completely, I disabled W3 Total Cache and installed and activated DB Cache Reloaded. However, I don't really see a big difference.

Any suggestions??
Old May 29, 2010, 12:01 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
The background image is still there.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:19 PM
globalnerds

43 posts · Nov 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
I had taken it down for my testing and put it back up.... I just took it off again.

Thanks for all of your help!!
Old May 29, 2010, 12:29 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Try disabling your plugins, all of them, test after that. Then add them back one at a time, testing each time. Something is making your site very slow to even start rendering. Can you check to see what your .htaccess file looks like? Paste it in here so we can take a look.

What hosting company is it?