Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] The safest version to upgrade from 3.6.4 ?

Old Jan 3, 2012, 07:18 AM
sober

121 posts · Oct 2010
Hi

Its been a long time I have updated my theme. The current version is 3.6.4 and I am quite happy with it. I also haven't been active in the forums and to be honest I have very little idea as to the developments happened thereafter. My question is: what is the stablest version to which I can upgrade and have my theme/style settings file uploaded. I don't want to go through patch after patch. I have seen that the neweset version are not the stablest ones. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Old Jan 3, 2012, 02:48 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
3.7.3 seems very stable, the only issues that have shown up are (1) an odd character appearing in the documentation, (2) a translation word was wrong and (3) the %date-modified parameter was returning the date published.

Now that is not to say there won't be other issues, but that's all that exist now - if non of them effect you you can ignore them.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
sober

121 posts · Oct 2010
Thanks Juggledad, the ones you have mentioned are not deal breakers for me. Thanks again
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Hi Juggledad...

I want to upgrade my site also using the manual upgrade instructions. Once I make the changes on my PC, is it OK to upload the new theme using WP dashboard instead of using an FTP?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:11 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Not sure what you mean, If you are doing a manual upgrade, you will be doing it, not WordPress.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:19 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
Not sure what you mean, If you are doing a manual upgrade, you will be doing it, not WordPress.

I wanted to upload the zip file into the WP dashboard from my desktop instead of using an FTP into my Host..

You know, the place in the dashboard that allows you to install themes where all the different themes you have uploaded are..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I never tried doing it that way, let me know how it works.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
I never tried doing it that way, let me know how it works.

I will...I think it should work fine that way. It works for the themes I DL from my desktop for WP on my other sites..and Plug ins too...

I'll keep you posted...

THanks
Old Jan 24, 2012, 04:55 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
HI Juggledad..

I have ATA installed on my Desktop and am looking to transfer the exact image and favicon over to the new version...

I opened up my file manager on Hostgator found both files...but not sure what to do next..I tried hitting "copy"..but that is not working, unless I am trying to copy in the wrong place.,..

Can ya fill me in?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you are trying to move a favicon from your desktop to the server, you want to put it in the wp-contents/atahualpaxxx/images/favicon folder (where xxx= teh version number if you added that to the folder.

when you say 'image' what do you mean? a header image?

as to how to exactly move it I can't tell you since I don't use Hostgater for my Host
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:14 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Hi Juggledad..

What I was trying to do was use the exact header, logo, and favicon in the new version.

And no matter how I copied the file in the HG file manager, it would not all me to paste it in the ATA folder in my desktop...

So I called hostgator and they told me that you can only copy/paste within the file manager. So I asked him how to DL as I did not have that option. I figure I could DL the 3 items and just use those exact images in my desktop copy of ATA...Except, I had no DL option..

As it turns out, there are different control panel themes that allow you these options within the file manager...I was using "X"..you need the theme X 3....

So I DL'd my header image but when I paste it into the header images file, it says I don't have the right permissions.....

So I Unzipped the whole ATA file and added the header image no problem...

I will now add the logo and favicon and re zip the whole file and upload it to the Install themes part of the WP dashboard...

Am I right about having to re-zip the file, especially since the "install theme" part of the WP dashboard says to upload a zip file.....Or are they just saying that because all WP themes are zipped for space constraints..

Last edited by fastharryDOTcom; Jan 24, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I just did a test and it looks like using the WordPress theme installer for a "manual" upgrade may be a nice way to go. These would be the steps.
  • Download the version of Atahualpa you want to install and unzip
  • Copy your header, favicon, and other images to the respective folder in your newly downloaded Atahualpa
  • Rename the Atahualpa folder to atahualpa373 if you are installing Atahualpa373. Of course you could name it anything you want. It just has to be different than any other theme folders you have.
  • Create a zip of that renamed folder
  • Install using the WordPress theme installer
  • Change any path statements that refer to the older theme folder within the theme options. The images will probably still work since you have your previous theme still there though.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:34 PM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I just did a test and it looks like using the WordPress theme installer for a "manual" upgrade may be a nice way to go. These would be the steps.
  • Download the version of Atahualpa you want to install and unzip
  • Copy your header, favicon, and other images to the respective folder in your newly downloaded Atahualpa
  • Rename the Atahualpa folder to atahualpa373 if you are installing Atahualpa373. Of course you could name it anything you want. It just has to be different than any other theme folders you have.
  • Create a zip of that renamed folder
  • Install using the WordPress theme installer
  • Change any path statements that refer to the older theme folder within the theme options. The images will probably still work since you have your previous theme still there though.

Hi Larry

What does that mean change the path statements?..I have never had to do anything all the other times I upgraded (though I used the auto updater in WP and just re uploaded my header image and favicon and icon)

Is this something new because I am doing a manual update?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you have a background image set in one of the theme options the path might be /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images. After the upgrade you would want to change any paths like that to /wp-content/theme/atahualpa373/images for example if you uploaded the new theme into that folder.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:30 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
If you have a background image set in one of the theme options the path might be /wp-content/themes/atahualpa/images. After the upgrade you would want to change any paths like that to /wp-content/theme/atahualpa373/images for example if you uploaded the new theme into that folder.

Hi Larry..

I have not used any background images. The only thing I added was a header image, a favicon, and a logo...All downloaded to my desktop from my File Manager so they are exactly the same. I have copied and pasted them into the ATA file folder on my desktop.

I have re zipped the folder. All I need to do is re upload, Right?..

Also, Why would you need to change the path of a background image?...Wouldn't it be in the new folder of ATA on my desktop after I put it there?...Or am I confused?

Last edited by fastharryDOTcom; Jan 25, 2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 05:35 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Also, I just tried to upload the new zip file...

Says I am missing the style.css sheet..

Unpacking the package…

Installing the theme…

The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.

Theme install failed.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Make sure you didn't zip a folder within a folder.

The reason for the path change is the file will indeed be in the correct folder but the settings for background images reside in the database and will still point to the old location.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 07:54 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
Make sure you didn't zip a folder within a folder.

The reason for the path change is the file will indeed be in the correct folder but the settings for background images reside in the database and will still point to the old location.

Hi Larry.

Yep, I opened the folder in the desktop and zipped the ATA folder inside...uploaded fine, thanks..

Help me understand this path relocation...Where would you change the path?

Thanks
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
One place you MIGHT need to change the path is for a background image (if you have one) is in the Body Style box in the Body, Text, and Links section of the theme options.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:08 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
One place you MIGHT need to change the path is for a background image (if you have one) is in the Body Style box in the Body, Text, and Links section of the theme options.

I'm not using a background image...so for now I am not going to worry about it. I just activated the them and the header image worked fine...

but one thing I did notice as that all the categories I had listed on the side are now displayed in the top menu bar....and the original menu bar is missing..

here is what it is supposed to look like..

fastharry.com

and I am including a snippet of what it looks like after I activate the new theme...

For the life of me, I don't know how to fix that,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	584
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1737  
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:20 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
When you install a new theme (installing a second copy is considered a new theme) you also need to go to Appearance>Menus and reset the menu.

Last edited by juggledad; Jan 25, 2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
fastharryDOTcom

73 posts · Oct 2009
NJ, USA
Quote:
When you install a new theme (installing a second copy is considered a new theme) you also need to go to Appearance>Menus and reset the menu.

WOW....All I had to do was go to menus, it was all the same list, hit save, specify in the dropdown "cat menu", and I was good to go...

MY favicon even worked and was already installed. Since I used all the same "names" for the header, favicon and logo, they all carried over as the theme options kept all the same names...

Nice....

Many Thanks