Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Import settings not reliable - what is?

Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:09 AM
jbrown13

10 posts · Feb 2011
Help [SOLVED] Import settings not reliable - what is?

I had a bad few moments last night when the upgrade from Atahualpa 3.5.3 to 3.6.4 left me with the dreaded 'blank web page' syndrome. I exported the ATO settings to the .TXT file and tried the "delete bfa_ata4" button, which didn't help. The customizations I'd made to the theme settings were of course lost. I reverted to 3.5.3 and tried importing the saved settings file, but nothing changed -- the site still had the out-of-the-box default Atahualpa settings.

I was saved by my hosting company, who kindly restored the backup from the previous day. My research on this forum indicates that there may be an issue with spurious line breaks in the exported .TXT file, which I will look at.

Since the export of the settings to a text file may be unreliable, a backup method is needed. I know how to do an export of the MySQL database from the command line, and there are WP plugins that will do this as well.

My question is this: Is a full dump and backup of the MySQL database and a backup of the site files (especially wp-content) sufficient to back up all Atahualpa settings, so that the look of the site can be restored after a disaster?

Thanks...

JGB
Old Mar 18, 2011, 07:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You should always do a database backup before making any major changes so you have a point where you can go back and recover. I suggest using a plugin to do backups on an automated schedule (I use wp-dbmanager)

To guarantee that you can recover (or move your site) you need to have
1) a database backup
2) a copy of the wp-content folder
3) a copy of wp-config.php (it has your database name, user and password)
you can always get a fresh copy of the wordpress code from wordpress.org
Old Mar 18, 2011, 08:00 AM
jbrown13

10 posts · Feb 2011
Thanks for the wise counsel. Full backups will be the norm for me, from now on.

JGB