Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Post Formats (Wordpress 3.1+)

Old May 4, 2011, 10:58 AM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
Bay Shore, NY / Long Beach, CA
Send a message via ICQ to Mikeylito Send a message via AIM to Mikeylito Send a message via Yahoo to Mikeylito Send a message via Skype™ to Mikeylito
How has Atahualpa implemented support for the new post formats feature?
If it hasn't yet been implemented, are there plans to implement it in the future?

Ciao for now!
Mike
Old May 4, 2011, 03:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Not sure what the plans are for the theme but many plugins already use that feature and you can add there are plugins that let you add your own custom post types.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:15 PM
Sonja

3 posts · Jul 2010
S.F. bay area
Larry,

"post formats" are not the same as custom post types. Post formats are a standard set of formats added in WP3.1 that include:
aside
gallery
link
status
video
audio
chat

The are added via call to "add_theme_support". One would normally style them with some css and possibly a little php.

Lack of support by Atahualpa for new WordPress core functions is a major issue for many of us going forward.

Is there any chance they will be added?

-Sonja
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:16 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Check out http://jeffsebring.com/wordpress/plu...ormats-plugin/
Old Jun 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You can also edit function.php and add the following just before the last line
HTML Code:
add_theme_support( 'post-formats', array( 'aside', 'chat', 'gallery', 'image', 'link', 'quote', 'status', 'video', 'audio' ) );
Now you can add CSS Inserts based on the class format-xxxxxxxx where xxxxxxxx is one of the new formats like 'format-aside' or 'format-standard'
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
swimflyfast2

150 posts · Aug 2010
Horse Country in Virginia
I'd love to see some examples that people come up with. Show off and show code
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:55 AM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
Send a message via ICQ to Mikeylito Send a message via AIM to Mikeylito Send a message via Yahoo to Mikeylito Send a message via Skype™ to Mikeylito
Two plugins are making things a little simpler.

The first, WP Post Formats from Ben Casey, adds that code that juggledad referred to without we having to make the modifications to functions.php. One less thing to worry about when upgrading the theme.

The second, CF Post Formats from Alex King and Crowd Favorite, modifies the user interface on the post entry page to give users an idea of what data can be included.

Now, if I can just get some guidance on how to style post-formatted entries, I'll be... in like Flynn.

I'm looking at post-formatted samples on the blogs of Matt Mullenweg and Justin Tadlock to get some ideas about styling. Tadlock, in particular, writes about post formats on his blog. If you want to look at those entries, you can browse his archives or enter "post formats site:justintadlock.com" at your favorite search engine to find those posts.

Anyone that has any suggestions on styling Atahualpa to handle post-formatted entries, especially asides, quotes, status, all of which could exclude a header on the displayed page.

Ciao for now!
Mike

Last edited by Mikeylito; Apr 16, 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:05 AM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
Some additional information can be found in the Wordpress Codex article "Post Formats", including answers to some questions I had about how to style post-formatted entries without a header.

Ciao for now!
Mike
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:36 PM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
In my first experiment executing Post Formats on my blog, I tackled the format "aside" which is generally styled without a header. At first, I was confused how I could make the header disappear, but using Juggledad's comment as a clue and doing some reading in that WordPress Codex article I referred to above, I came up with the following code.

Code:
/* Added 16 April 2013 - Post Formats */

.format-aside .post-headline,
.format-aside .post-byline {
	display: none;
}

.format-aside .post-kicker {
	font-weight: bold;
}
The display: none; CSS entry causes whatever items are styled with that entry to "disappear". I had to look into functions.php to find the proper CSS classes to style, but upon making that discovery, it was easy to code.

One thing I would like to do in keeping with the styling of asides, as implemented by Mullenweg and Tadlock, was to place the Infinity symbol (∞) at the end of the aside with the permalink of the aside "embedded" in the symbol. However, if I'm correct, there's no way to do this without making changes to index.php.

Two questions.
  1. Is that correct?
  2. Wouldn't this be a good use for a child theme?

Ciao for now!
Mike
Old Jun 14, 2013, 05:46 AM
awcguy

34 posts · Feb 2011
West Virginia
Send a message via AIM to awcguy
Flynn / Mods..

someone at least give this guy a response..

Is he on the right path ?

I understand suggesting plugins.. but the reality is that plugins at a level of vulnerability and instability..
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:18 AM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
@awcguy; Thanks for your support and concern, but I'm really doing OK.

Atahualpa was coded before the Wordpress group decided to add post-formats as a core feature and with all the other stuff Flynn is manipulating with his theme, working in post-formats would be quite an undertaking, I would imagine.

I've installed Wordpress on a test platform, using WAMPSERVER and just started trying a few things out and that's how I was able to implement asides with little problem.

One of the benefits of using a test platform is the ability to install other themes to see how the core team intended for post-formats to be implemented. There must be some confusion because I know the core team intended to highlight the implementation of Post Formats in Wordpress 3.6 and was including it in the betas. However, 3.6 was delayed so the "highlighting" (but not the functionality) could be pulled out.

My methodology is to create simple entries on my test server for the particular post format I'm testing. One test install uses Atahualpa as its theme, a second uses Twenty-Eleven and a third uses Twenty Thirteen (being released with 3.6 and available with the beta).

Twenty Eleven and Twenty Thirteen give me the clues as to how the core team expects Post Formats to be rendered and then I attempt to mimic that within Atahualpa. When I have success, I will post the results in this thread.

I know, as a rule, that Juggledad doesn't like to give "answers", but rather "clues" that lead you to the answer. I realize that can be frustrating to some people, but I recognize that as a valuable teaching methodology which I myself have used to train others. So, I can't really complain when the same methodology is used on me.

That first plugin that I referred to, WP Post Formats by Ben Casey, exposes all available post formats included in the Wordpress Core. When you go the Settings panel for that plugin, you can choose which post formats you want to use and there are code boxes further down on the Settings panel that allow you to enter code for each particular post-format.

I did have to do a little digging into functions.php to learn the CSS selectors that I needed to modify, but once I did that then it was just a matter of playing around with different CSS options to determine the rendering of a particular post format.

If anybody has any questions, I'll answer them to the best of my ability.

Ciao for now!
Mike
Old Jun 16, 2013, 07:27 AM
Mikeylito

6 posts · Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
This is a dead link.
It will take you to Jeff Sebring's homepage.
On that page, there's a second reference to Post Formats, but that link is dead as well.

Ciao for now!
Mike