Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

Isolate WP Supersized flexible slideshow from other body components.

Old May 13, 2014, 10:57 AM
colinruggiero

23 posts · Feb 2012
Isolate WP Supersized flexible slideshow from other body components.

Hi BFA forum,

I love this forum and use it all the time though I rarely post because I almost always find what I need and have no business giving anyone advice myself.

I'm not sure where to post this question but I'm using a plugin called WP Supersized to get a flexible, full-page slideshow on my homepage (www.colinruggiero.com). However, the settings for the plugin don't seem to allow it to be confined to a certain area (header, body, widget area, etc.) in the layout and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create a separate area at the bottom of the slideshow where I can put some text and social media links. When the browser page is re-sized in certain ways, the slideshow expands and overlaps my content at the bottom. Is there any easy way someone can think of to confine that slideshow to an area so that I can have some free space below it? I'd like something similar to this: http://www.hiltonhyland.com

This would also be great but seems more complicated with the multiple components scrolling at variable speeds: http://www.stuckincustoms.com

Is there maybe some CSS I can use to modify the container that the slideshow loads in? I've tried to figure out what the selector would be but don't have enough knowledge to figure out the best way to go about this. Hope I'm not omitting some important info. I'm running the latest WP and Atahualpa 3.7.12.

Thanks very much!
Old May 13, 2014, 12:59 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I am not clear on what you are trying to do. The selector for the Supersized plugin is #supersized but your footer content shows fine for me no matter how I resize my browser window.
Old May 13, 2014, 02:16 PM
colinruggiero

23 posts · Feb 2012
Thanks for your response Miles. Maybe it has something to do with monitor size or aspect ratio but I am able to resize the page so that some of that text in the footer overlaps the slideshow image. It's not as bad now because I put the text in a widget in the footer instead of the custom widget area I had right above the footer. Using the custom widget area, the overlap was pretty bad. On a mobile device this is much more pronounced. Also, even how I have it now, at some sizes there is a large gap between the bottom of the slideshow image and the text in the footer.

What I'm trying to do is to create a definite break between the supersized slideshow and the content below it so that the content below, whatever I want that to be, will start right at the bottom of the supersized image regardless of how the page is resized - just as it is here: http://www.hiltonhyland.com/

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have.

Colin
Old May 14, 2014, 06:45 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
It would take some playing around with that plugin to come up with possible solutions. If you were using Atahualpa 3.7.15 you could perhaps use the full width header function and then use use the native slideshow or a slideshow plugin in the header area.
Old May 14, 2014, 04:53 PM
colinruggiero

23 posts · Feb 2012
Thanks for your suggestions Miles. There aren't any relevant settings for the plugin - it just loads into the entire page by default. I'm not sure how to use CSS to try to make it load in a particular container or section on the homepage. In any case, I ended up having to leave town for a job and won't have a chance to mess with this further until Fri. Just wanted to thank you for your response. I did update Atahaulpa so will try the header idea also and post again if I can't make any progress. Thank you!
Old May 16, 2014, 02:07 PM
colinruggiero

23 posts · Feb 2012
Hi Miles,

I thought I had updated to 3.7.15 but I had only installed the theme and not activated it. When I did activate it, it seemed to break a lot of my site. I imported my previous Atahualpa settings but, after updating, my homepage would only load as a blank page with the slideshow inside of it. All of my widgets were somehow moved into my Saved Widgets area. When I moved them back into the appropriate area, e.g., Footer Widget Area, they still would not display. None of my menus would display either. Maybe this is standard upgrade behavior but I couldn't find an easy way to fix things and I haven't had to go rebuilding my site after previous upgrades. I deactivated my Supersized plugin but it had no effect. I've reactivated 3.7.12 now because my site was totally non-functional but I did look through header settings in 3.7.15 while it was active and I didn't see any new full-width header options that would give me more options than I had with 3.7.12. Did I miss something?

So... I know these threads are supposed to stick to one issue but everything I try to do ends up leading to a whole new host of set-backs and problems. Do you have any ideas about why upgrading from 3.7.12 to 3.7.15 would break my whole site?