Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

New widget areas working at all?

Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:49 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
We have some new advertisers, and I really need to give them some choices about where to place their ads. I want to switch to the latest Atahualpa version, but not if the "add new widget areas" feature isn't working yet. I have not been able to get it work on a test site, running ATA 3.4.2 and WP 2.8.4. What I want especially is a 468x60 widget area above the logo.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:02 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Paulae,
The new widget areas work IF you only use one area. ie you can put it in the header, but if you put one in the footer, it will wipe out the header one. Last one seems to rule. Also specify the number of areas you want. While teh defalut is suppose to be 1, it's actually 3.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 08:11 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Right, I remember that from the other thread. But now I can't get rid of the old 3 cell widget area. I wiped it off the footer config area and saved those settings, but it still shows up in the widgets area, but not the new one.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 03:49 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
OK, I have a new widget area sort of working, in a sandbox part of an old site: http://www.skilovers.com/wp/

I wanted to have a banner ad above the content, and an ad group in the right sidebar, and I wanted to make sure the Featured Content Gallery in the center wouldn't conflict with the Sponsors Slideshow widget, which is running both ad areas.

So far, so good. However, I was not able to get the top ad area to work correctly. I used the simplest of the new widget area codes given in the new widget instructions, and it of course created 3 instances. I populated only the 2nd one, which leaves the 2 side ones empty.

On my "real" site, I will want this all to work more smoothly.